Pothos review for Stones' Alexander?

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

boris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Pothos review for Stones' Alexander?

Post by boris »

Hello! It's been a fair few months since Alexander screened at our cinemas and I was wondering when Pothos will have a review for Oliver Stones effort under the 'movies' part of the site?Although with the DVD's coming out soon, it may be worth waiting until then. So the 'Directors Cut' version can be reviewed alongside it.Any word if we can expect to see a pothos.org review to the films soon?
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Pothos review for Stones' Alexander?

Post by marcus »

I don't think you're likely to get a "Pothos" review, not least because opinions on the film were so varied. However, if someone does write a review, then:1. I think it should be published on Pothos.
2. If anyone disagrees with it, then they should darn well write their own review, rather than getting huffy because someone else disagreed with them.
3. That contrary review should then be published alongside the original one.Having said that, I do believe that only serious reviews should be published. All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
heinrich

Post by heinrich »

Noblesse oblige.I think that one of the points we must stress is that the movie is so very "western". Twice we hear that Alexander liberated the Asians and offered them all kinds of benefits and chances. The movie uses the Macedonian propaganda about Gaugamela as if it really happened like Arrian writes, ignoring that Darius left the battlefield after his men had already decided to run. We see a harem (western fantasy about the Near East, not known before the Turkish sultan established one) and all kinds of effeminate easterlings (Bagoas!). As far as I can see, Lane Fox has been able to ignore about a quarter of a century of orientalist research.Stone's western perspective has, as far as I can see, hardly been mentioned in newspaper reviews; we must be able to do something better.HM
boris

Post by boris »

Although I am unsure of the source evidence, I remember hearing of a royal harem (Sassanian) that was captured by a Roman called Septimius Odenatus when he sacked Ctesiphon. Therefore there may also have been harems in the time of Alexander.I see your points however Mazaios, but we must remember that the film is told very much from a Macedonian perspective intentionally. In fact, it is the perspective of King Ptolomey the first who is pretty much narrating and telling us his version of Alexanders life.
Erats

Post by Erats »

The best Stones here:
http://www.vdvoem.com/promo.html
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I agree. Also, whether or not we believe it, Curtius does say that Alexander inherited Darius' harem of 365 concubines ...ATBMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
boris

Post by boris »

I actually brought both versions of the film on DVD yesterday. I have to say I enjoyed seeing the film again (for my second time) since it came out at the cinema. Great attention to detail, references to the mythology within the context of their times and the excellent costumes and sets - thumbs up!But, one interesting thing about the shorter Directors Cut is Oliver Stones commentary. You may or may not agree with it, but it is quite illuminating as to why he would go for such an aspect with such an approach.Still, the night draws late and I must get hitting that proverbial hay!Regards,Boris
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I got the director's cut yesterday, but didn't have a chance to do more than pick a few choice chapters to watch - I have yet to watch the whole thing. It's only about 8 minutes shorter - as I understand from an interview with Stone that I read, he cut out 14 minutes and added in 6 new minutes.I'd like to get the theatrical version, too, if only for the extras ... but are they any good?ATBMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Marcus HailThe extras are a waste of time. Basically some shaky behind the scenes footage is all it is.Hardly anyone is in focos nor can the narrative be heard clearly.As value for money.the 2 disc version is more expensive with no extras to shout about.The directors cut is the original.with a few scenes moved around and some small edits.No reall exiting additions. I have watched the movie a few times and really gotta pick up that some people admire Stone for having it historically correct.I take issue with this and the prominenceof Cassander. I dont think Cassander was even on the campaign yet be involved with war councils and bne quoted.When Bold Cassander breaks.As far as I am ware this little snake only turned up towards the end to argue his fathers case and get his head wrapped against the wall for sniggering at Alexanders eastern rituals.Any thoughts.Kenny