Mission in Iraq

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Mission in Iraq

Post by maciek »

Hello dear friends!I'm writing to You from Iraq for the first time. My first impresion after coming here was of course very hot temperatures but the weather here is not much different then this in Syria where I've been 6 years ago. I have a lot of work in my duties but outside it I have some time off so I will find some time to write in the forum. Best regards
Maciek
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Mission in Iraq

Post by jan »

Good luck to you, maciej, as I am concerned for your well being now, and will keep you in my prayers. I am looking forward to your posts about your adventure there. Stay safe, and keep well. How's the food? Stay happy. Jan
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Hello M. Surprised to hear where you are. A friend of mine (fellow travel writer) was there a couple of years ago and had a great time. But take care...and tell us lots of good stories!
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Hello!
It's so nice to read Your responds. The food is very good here. There is a lot to choose even for someone very "selective". I made the contact with two civilian polish archeologists working for army. They were traveled much here and made many great pictures even places which aren't recognized in archeological maps.
Also I found how bad job made Saddam trying to rebuild ancient monuments - the theater build by Alexander were rebuild completely but in not exactly same place In such case he demolished what was really ancient there.
Well I spoke to many Iraqis here and I'm very sorry for them. Their situation is tragic. But the country is so great and beautiful. I hope they will rebuild their peace and all tourists and historians will be coming here for holydays.regards
Maciek
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Now, Maciek, as I understand it, was it not the Polish forces who were based at Babylon, when there were complaints that the site was being damaged?I'm not criticising your fellow countrymen, if that is where they were/are based ... but if you are near Babylon, I hope you will be able to take some photos for your dear, dear friends at Pothos? :-)All the best - and keep safe!Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Hello Marcus!
Unfortunately my base is in Ad Diwaniyah which is south from Babilon. But as I wrote I have very good conversations with archeologists in here and I have a lot of great pics of Babilon.Regards
Maciek