Why Darius Built Persepolis

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Why Darius Built Persepolis

Post by jan »

I just found a very interesting magazine, Archaeology Odyssey, which has an article entitled Why Darius Built Persepolis, accompanied with cover illustration on the magazine and great illustrations along with story about the building of Persepolis. This includes information about the early excavations of Persepolis, and is on newstands now as it is the November-December issue. Can be found at both Border's and Barnes-Noble bookstores.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Why Darius Built Persepolis

Post by marcus »

Hi Jan,Sounds good - I shall look out for it, although I don't know whether it's available on the newsstands in the UK (never seen it before, anyway).A small group of us went to the exhibition on Achaemenid Persia at the British Museum today - it was brilliant, with many artefacts lent by the Tehran museum, on their first trip outside Iran. It was quite awesome, and included casts of some of the friezes from Persepolis - wonderful!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I know exactly the frieze you mean, Andrew.To be honest, I would be hard put to find a favourite exhibit. There were some beautiful stone serving dishes that were, in my eyes, 'better' than the gold and silverware; and there were some exquisite little bridlery pieces (which I'm sure you would be interested in).The whole thing was just excellent!CheersMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK