Was Alexander the last of the lead by Example Commanders?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Was Alexander the last of the lead by Example Commanders?

Post by kenny »

Companions we just had a programe on the history Channel Trying to find Alexanders Body.A statement the narrater of the programe caused me to wonder.He Stated Alexander was the last Commander in history to be in the thick of battle leading by example.I was quite suprised when the Guy stated Commanders like Caesar and Hannibal even though great commanders never risked there own. I most proabably thought they did.I guess the Maceodonian way was to lead the charge Philips numerous wounds and scars baring testimony to his example.Any thoughts on this was Alexander the Last of the mixit Generals?kenny
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Was Alexander the last of the lead by Example Commanders

Post by jan »

You betcha! Alexander is not the last general to lead by example. George Washington always led his troops.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Well, Kenny, that statement was plainly wrong. As you say, Caesar fought in the thick of things (although, admittedly, not *always*). Then you have plenty of people following - almost every English king up to (and including) Henry VII - Richard III was killed in battle, and in the late 1130s (or 1141, I forget which) King Stephen was captured at the battle of Lincoln, having surrounded himself with the bodies of the men he had slain. And we mustn't forget George II, who was the last English king to lead troops into battle personally, in 1743.ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Let's not forget Gustav Adolphus of Sweden during the 30 years war...the great general and king led and died heroically in the battle of Luetzen (I think?). Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

"I guess the Maceodonian way was to lead the charge Philips numerous wounds and scars baring testimony to his example."Not just the "Macedonian way" Kenny. Many a Greek general had died prior to the Macedonians leading "from the front".Think of Epaminondas, Pelopidas, the Spartan Kings Leonidas and Cleombrotus, the Athenian generals in Sicily, Thrasybulus (second Athenian League)GǪ . The list is rather long. It was Plutarch in one of his lives (Pelopidas?) I think who bemoaned the fate of his country in stating that Greece had buried too many great generals in internal squabbling instead of confronting the outside menace. And, indeed, could not put a thousand(?) men at arms into the field in his time?As Marcus has already stated, the claim is plainly ridiculous.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Athanasios

Post by Athanasios »

Boudica
xxxxxx

Post by xxxxxx »

He didn't die heroically; due to his need of glasses and the fog in the morning, he rode straight into enemy lines thinking they were Swedes. :-) Thankfully, he didn't lead anyone on that particular route.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

This is news to me. I don't recall reading anywhere that he needed glasses. The only book I read on the subject entitled "The Thirty Year War", can't remember the author, simply said something to the effect that he was as usual in the thick of the fighting and got cut off, his horse was then seen eradically running from the smoke with two shots to the neck and Gustav was nowhere to be found. The Swedes realizing their king was missing launched a desperate offensive, broke the enemy line, and routed them. Several hours later his corpse was found, stripped, under a pile of other corpses, with one shot the the arm, two in the back, and a dagger in his side. My guess is that you're not a big fan of Gustov, or just making a point?Nicator
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I don't really have an opinion as such on Gustavus. :-) Anyhow, there's a few different views on what happened that morning. At the time of his death (as is always the case when a regent dies, I guess) there was rumours going around that he was shot by his own men, although as far as I'm aware that theory was disproven shortly after. He rode straight in to enemy lines, where they shot him in the arm and tried to carry him off as a prisoner of war. This turned out to be too much trouble (he might have been over-weight aswell as needing glasses;-) so they shot him dead and plundered his corps. Him ending up in that unfortunate position was definetly due to the fog, and (at least some) Swedish historians argue that he was short-sighted and would've needed glasses. Whether this is new research I don't know. But I promise I didn't just make that up to rain on Gustavus parade. :-)
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

"But I promise I didn't just make that up to rain on Gustavus parade."Of course not, it's a subject of interest to me, as Gustav was one of those generals that led by example. He was also admirable for his educational establishment, the first to institute public elementary grade requirements. He brought a tactical revolution to Europe, that required far larger standing armies than had previously been called for. Had he not died the future of Europe's heartland would likely have been far different. As it was, the French ended up dominating the hemisphere for many decades. Thanks for the additional info though. later Nicator
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

"He was also admirable for his educational establishment, the first to institute public elementary grade requirements."Absolutely. I'm not in anyway denying Gustavus achievements, I just think that the morning he died somewhat sounds like a bit of a bad joke. L++tzen was foggy, keep with your own guys until it's cleared. On top of the unfortunate death (in a very unfortunate war to begin with), there's the additional pain (well, he was dead by then but anyway) of his daughter abdicating, converting to catholicism and moving to Rome. :-/ Ah, well, I'll drop it now, I promise.All the best,X.