Manchester Passion - what music for Alexander's last days?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

susan
Somatophylax

Manchester Passion - what music for Alexander's last days?

Post by susan »

Last night British TV showed the Manchester Passion - a retelling of the events of the first Easter with Mancunian songs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... r_passion/

To quote: "The Manchester Passion will retell the last days of Jesus' life using popular music from the cream of Manchester bands, including M People, New Order, The Smiths, Oasis and James. The songs will be given a vibrant new twist and be performed by the characters in the story accompanied by a 16-piece orchestra."

Question - if such a thing was done with Alexander's last days, what songs would you choose?
marcus
Somatophylax

Hmmm

Post by marcus »

Interesting ...

"Poison Arrow" by ABC?
"Poison Ivy" by Human Nature (and there's one by the Stones, too)?
"By the Waters of Babylon" by Boney M (et al) - although the words would have to change somewhat, seeing as the song's actually about the Jews in exile ...

Wasn't it Iron Maiden who did a song about Alexander, too? Surely that would have to appear.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Songs

Post by kennyxx »

Hail Ultimately.

Its gotta be Sinatras My Way

Or even Presleys Version of. The Impossible Dream.

Kenny
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Something more imaginative ! Yesterday, Judas Iscariot sang "Heaven knows I'm miserable now" as he betrayed Jesus; and Jesus & Pontius Pilate sang Oasis' Wonderwall. Now that's imagination.
marcus
Somatophylax

Other suggestions

Post by marcus »

Well, I suppose I could imagine the line of soldiers filing past Alexander's sick bed, and Alexander singing Don't you (forget about me), by Simple Minds.

Perdiccas, Antigonus, Meleager each singing their own rendition of Queen's I want it all (and I want it now).

Ptolemy high-tailing it to Memphis with Walk like an Egyptian (or, once he gets there, of course, Walking in Memphis).

Depending on whether one follows a Tarn-ian view of Alexander, shouldn't we also hear anything by 'The Brotherhood of Man'?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Other suggestions

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:Well, I suppose I could imagine the line of soldiers filing past

Depending on whether one follows a Tarn-ian view of Alexander, shouldn't we also hear anything by 'The Brotherhood of Man'?

ATB
Oh dear! I sincerely hope not. Then again, a possible soundtrack to the Tarn-ian view might be supplied by a certain group of ophidia:

Sit on my face and tell me that you love me...

More suited - one might think - to the mass weddings?

Then again, our forum might be a little too dry and dusty for such raunch?
Last edited by Paralus on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Pothos goes Python ...

Post by marcus »

I doubt if Pothos has ever experienced the like before! :lol:

What a shame your link didn't play the whole song, though. Still, there might be some Pothosians who cannot take such raunch.

Perhaps that other Python classic, the Philosophers' Song, could also be appropriate - including the immortal line "Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle ..." (plus references to Socrates and Plato as well, of course).

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

"Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!"
Last edited by Paralus on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Of course one could posit a soundtrack to the entire "adventure". To borrow both from Jeff Wayne and HG Wells.....

"No one would have believed, in the last years of the fourth century BC, that Persian affairs were being watched by the ambitious lord of Macedon.

"No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope
studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few Achaeemenids even considered
the possibility of conquerors from Macedon and yet, across the gulf of the Aegean, a military mind immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Empire with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, he drew his plans against us...."

"The chances of anyone invading from Macedon are a million to one," he said.
The chances of anyone invading from Macedon are a million to one - but still he
comes!"
Last edited by Paralus on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paralus

Academia.edu
kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Michael Hail

Post by kennyxx »

Your War of tye World Kinda Groovy. I listend to the Burton sound track kind of scary.

In the end germs took out the Aliens. Was it germs that took the Macedonian Invader. On the War Of the Worlds maybe im morbid but its really refreshing when mankind are in a corner. With all the Tanks Nukes and warplanes. Just maybe theres something that these things just bounce off. Humanitry has had it far to easy too long wacking the enviroment and each other. Maybe it take a meanace like this to stop the petty quarels.

Kenny
marcus
Somatophylax

Retro-reminiscences galore!

Post by marcus »

Ah, how nice to hear "War of the Worlds" again - it's been so long.

Makes you wonder what Vangelis was thinking of - he wasn't taking the right inspiration! (Although I do happen to like the soundtrack to Alexander, for the most part, anyway).

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Gentlemen! Tsk!

Post by karen »

Just kidding, this thread had me laughing so hard it scared my cats.

Just to complete the hellenic philosophic dipsomaniac triad:

"Plato, they say, could stick it away,
Half a crate of whisky every day!"

I think the gay/not-gay warrior debate could be informed by certain Pythonesque military maneuvers, could it not?

Still chuckling,
Karen
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

I think the gay/not-gay warrior debate could be informed by certain Pythonesque military maneuvers, could it not?
Lets better not get into this :P
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

"Hang on. What did he say? The 'Greek' will inherit the earth?! Which Greek?"
Paralus

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Paralus

Academia.edu