UK Program on Ancient Persia

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

susan
Somatophylax

UK Program on Ancient Persia

Post by susan »

There's a program on Persepolis and the Persian Empire on Channel 4 tonight (Monday) at 8pm - UK pothos only, I'm afraid. Maybe we should make a video of it that we can lend it out to non-UK members ?Susan
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: UK Program on Ancient Persia

Post by yiannis »

Well Susan, lend-out or not you should definately make a copy!
Wouldn't it be great if Internet was fast enough to transfer this kind of data via e-mail? Imagine if Susan could e-mail us the whole documentary directly to our e-mails!
Have patience, it will be possible in a few years.
Have a nice day everyone!
Yiannis
susa

Post by susa »

If one has a cable connection.... I could download it quite fast here in my office... :)
susa
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Was it any good?I missed it, although I will have access to a video of the programme (hopefully tonight). I caught about 10 seconds and it looked as though there was some magnificent scenery!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

I taped it, although I haven't watched it yet. I don't have any means of digitising it yet, or I could put it on one of those sharing things like Kazaa. If anyone would like a copy , let me know.Linda
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

The programme was visually superb - showing computer animations of Persepolis in its full glory and reconstructions of Cyrus' gardens ( or 'paradises'). Apparently it was a boast of Cyrus that he never sat down to dinner without having done some work in his gardens first. The Persians came across as highly cultured, tolerant people. The Macedonians were described as mountain thugs.Next week's program is on Alexandria - last week's was Troy - its a really good series.Susan
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

I have a family there in London so I will ask to tape it. For me Alexandria would be especially interesting. Persepolis is lost anyway because I read this post jusn today.
It's nice Susan that You give such informations in here!!!!Maciek
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Oh, I would like so much to see that but I'm sure it will eventually show up on our TV. Interesting that they portrayed The Persians as elegant and gracious and the Macedonians as "mountain thugs" -- I have made similar observations in my novel, and have tried to show the differences in their manners and cultural habits.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Yes, well, it was a very Persocentric programme - naturally enough considering it was about the Persians. One would be hard pressed to portray the Macedonians as anything else when one is decrying the burning of the palace.They showed the Alexander Mosaic as a mirror image, too... (not quite sure what that has to do with anything, but there you go) :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK