what if Alexander The Great had not died prematurely?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

redtm

what if Alexander The Great had not died prematurely?

Post by redtm »

please show me your opinion "what if Alexander The Great hadn't died prematurely?" I want credible and specific world historical context.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: what if Alexander The Great had not died prematurely?

Post by agesilaos »

Alexander's last plans survived and are retailed in Diodoros book XVIII basically havind disposed of the Arabs he was going to move along the North African coast and attack Carthage before sweeping back via Spain and Italy. A good discussion of the reality of these plans has been doubted but Bosworth in 'Alexander and the East; tradgedy in triumph' makes a good case for accepting them
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

On the other hand one may speculate that the world (if Alexander hasn't died) would be a brotherhood of men or that it would be an endless bloodbath but in the end one can't prove any of this.
There are many discussions going on like: "was it feasible for Alexander to conquer India" and if he could afterwards defeat the Chinese armies etc... who knows?
It's useless to discuss "what if"
andrewt1978

Post by andrewt1978 »

I have to disagree with you, I see this as an excellent topic to theorize what Alexander may have accomplished had he lived a longer life.