Dissertation on the Ancient and Modern Treatment of ATG

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Sweetmemory41
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Dissertation on the Ancient and Modern Treatment of ATG

Post by Sweetmemory41 »

An interesting study of the Alexander sources. A dark Alexander and even a darker Hephaestion (Appendix V).

https://uir.unisa.ac.za/bitstream/handl ... sAllowed=y
hiphys

Re: Dissertation on the Ancient and Modern Treatment of ATG

Post by hiphys »

Sorry, I can't open the link!
Sweetmemory41

Post by Sweetmemory41 »

Sorry about it. It is a long document, which takes forever to load. Given below is a link that summarizes the dissertation - https://www.historyoftheancientworld.co ... e_vignette
hiphys

Post by hiphys »

Thank you very much.
I tried over and over, and in the end I succeeded in seeing the whole document. Till now I read only the Appendix V "Hephaestion": it seems to me not so dark as I feared and not so new as I wished. When I'll read the rest I'll tell what I think of this study.
Best regards
hiphys
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

I read Appendix V and I think she has muddled the Eumenes and Craterus quarrels slightly. There is a possibility that Hephaestion got Alexander to change his mind over the Eumenes quarrel about the lodging, as he originally blamed Hephaestion, but then decided Eumenes had overstepped the mark. However, Hephaestion was not the only one of Alexander's friends to convince him that Philotas should not be forgiven. He couldn't guarantee that Alexander would give him the vacant command, but Philotas had obviously made himself quite a few enemies.
Sweetmemory41

Post by Sweetmemory41 »

She muddled the story as Mary Renault had done so in her fictional work ‘The Persian Boy.’ Initially, I thought that Renault was taking poetic license for dramatic purposes by (a) situating the story much closer to Ecbatana and (b) making Hephaestion and Eumenes draw the swords on each other instead of Craterus and H. (In her version, Craterus had already gone back with the discharged veterans when the infamous fight broke out.) However, she doubled down on it in her non-fiction work ‘The Nature of Alexander.’ As the dissertation analyzes Renault’s works on Alexander, the author went with this version. I have seen Renault’s version of the sword fight echoed in several places, attesting to her enduring legacy.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Interesting - I hadn't realised that. Just goes to show how careful writers need to be about myth-making,