Alexander's failures

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Aren

Alexander's failures

Post by Aren »

What were alexander's failures? I can't find any website that doesn't look at him as the greatest thing in the world....They all talk about his success, but what did he fail at.
panos
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexander's failures

Post by panos »

Hi Aren!In my opinion the greatest failure of Alexander was that he didn't leave a successor, somebody that all the empire would turn to after his death. Of course it was relatively early for him to start thinking about these things, but all his other actions show a very organised person with a clear vision of the future. Just a thought
Panos
jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Gedrosian Desert

Post by jorgios »

I think this was Alexander's greatest failure. Talk about being anti-climactic!
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Persepolis

Post by dean »

Hello, Not leaving a successor and his way through the Gedrosian desert- maybe- yet the Gedrosian desert could be seen in part as a victory for he came through it alive.Persepolis is a great slur on his record and as Parmenion pointed out- why would he burn something that belonged to himself?I don't think it did much either to help him be seen by the Persians as their rightful king- it must have caused immense distress to Persians subjects at the time.Just thinking.Best regards,
Dean.