Battle of Issos

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

agamemnon

Battle of Issos

Post by agamemnon »

Is there any other ways to get the poster of the battle of Issos (the mosaic of course)than buying it from the archaeological museum in Naples?
I went to Italy on holidays, and thought I would come back with the poster...unfortunately, when I went to the museum in Naples they kindly told me it was out of print....they even refused to send it to me through the post...despite the fact I offered to pay double....basically I am gutted.
Can someone help me please???
Any suggestion will be much appreciated (apart from the obvious : "go back to Italy next year...and come back emptyhanded again"
alexanders desciple

Re: Battle of Issos

Post by alexanders desciple »

Agamemnon HiI dont know about large posters, but the Alexander sites have a lot of pictures of the mosaic, at various angles and close ups.I singled one out on a a4 photo print and put it in a nice frame I think it looks great, I am not very good with computers but Im sure they have the phasilities to pront larger pictures.I dont know if its any use but give it a try, a nice picture in a nice frame looks nice.I hope that helpsRegardsAlexes desciple
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Go to this web site left click on Alexander the Great then make a print of the picture (Battle of Issos) http://www.history.ccsu.edu/elias/elias.htm then send it to or contact ( http://www.armourdiecutting.com/posters/ ) or due what Alexander's disciple suggest
aen
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by aen »

Why not go one better, Agamemnon? A magnificent illustrated volume on the mosaic was published a couple of years ago by 'Skira' press in Italy. One moment . . . just off to check detailsYep. 'APELLES - The Alexander Mosaic' by Paolo Moreno, 2001 Skira Editore.Well worth the money, I feel. Moreno makes a strong case for the mosaic actually being a depiction of Gaugemela rather than Issus. He also offers up some insights on anomolous details within the mosaic like the reason for Alexander's very obviously oversized eyes.Whatever about the analysis, the illustrations are many, detailed and magnificent, the volume itself being a little over A4 size. Once you've flicked through, you'll have seen virtually every tile of the mosaic up close. Skira has a reasonable reputation amongst art buffs for the quality of their reproductions, and they haven't let themselves down here.Laters.
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Well just from curiocity... how much was this duble prise?? I think we should wait until the movies will be relised and then even in the cover of children's exercisebooks will be mosaic pictures...Regards
Maciek
Tre

Post by Tre »

Hello Aengus!I vote for Gaugamela - it's the sideburns that convince - Alexander's compromise between his cleanshaven preference and not being mistaken for a eunuch in Persian culture.
blackajax1

Post by blackajax1 »

Where do I find that book?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I think they have it in the British Museum shop, if that's any help...Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US