A bit of info

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

A bit of info

Post by beausefaless »

The curb bit originated around the 4th Century BCE (Edwards) and the snaffle bit has been around for quite awhile I believe bits were made more available for horse teams that pulled chariots and carts for they were severe I do think organic bits made from rope and leather and types of hackamore (bozells, spelling?) was more available for most of Philip's and Alexander's Calvary plus these types of bridles can be repaired quickly but that's just my opinion, some subjects on the horse Xenophon writes make no sense. I'm still waiting for more info from a few museums around the world but I have a feeling I'm going to spend a dime to get my answers.
I can't find any reviews on these books, can anyone help? Bit by Bit by Dianna R. Tuke, Bits by Louis Taylor, and Bits and Biting Manual by William G. Langdon, Jr. It appears I'm going to spend more money here, I hope to get some answers to some of my questions.
Here's some feedback I received from Mark Leach, Natural History Store in Pittsburgh, PA:

"According to our curators the Macedonians and Greeks had metal bits either
bronze or iron. They even had the "broken" or two-piece hinged snaffle bit
that is the norm today. Most artists for whatever reason don't depict them
on bridled ridden horses. Mostly they are shown on harness horses pulling
chariots and other vehicles.The organic horse bit was used prior to the Bronze Age".
Any type of info on this subject would be appreciated, thanks.
susan
Somatophylax

Re: A bit of info

Post by susan »

The William Langdon book:There's a review at:
http://www.horse-previews.com/395articl ... t.htmlAlso another says:
Clearly illustrates and explains the techniques of using bits, martingales, draw-reins and hackamores, as well as leg aids and reining techniques to train your horse. PB, 118 pages.Louis Taylor:
I found a (sort of) review at :
http://www.ruralheritage.com/messageboa ... 435-0.htmI hope this helpsSusan
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Thank you Susan,
My questions relate to the history of bits, when I search for references pertaining to these questions I'm led to these authors but I have a feeling there's nothing much if anything mentioned in their books maybe there could be light at the end of the tunnel with Edwards. Again I appreciate your help.
Take care,Andrew
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hello Andrew:Do you know of this book? - Horse in the Ancient World, by Ann Hyland. Westport, CT, Praeger/Greenwood, 2003. 210p., illus., bibliog., index. ISBN 0-275-98114-2. $44.95. The book covers the period of time between 2300 and 300 BC, and the last chapter is on the Macedonian empire. The review I read online says the evolution of ancient tack, saddles and bits are also explained. There is more information at:
http://www.e-streams.com/es0610/es0610_2767.htmlLinda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Thanks so much Linda Ann,
This is exactly what I've been looking for, you're defiantly in my will and I hope to return the help you gave me, take care and I wish you the best,
Andrew
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Wow, thanks Andrew - I'll look forward to my inheritance! :-) Seriously, I'm glad I could help. I hope the book lives up to its promise, as $44.95 is quite a large investment in a single book.All the best,Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor