alexander

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Elizabeth

Re: alexander

Post by Elizabeth »

I think that Alexander the Great was gay. For all you people that are crushing the gay community i think that that is not right. I am a lesbian and i look up to Alexander and all other gay and lesbian heros. I can't believe that you people want to degrade us so much. That is not the American way. GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE!!!!
Sikander

Re: alexander

Post by Sikander »

Greetings Elizabeth,
Many of the people on this Forum have no bias against gay or lesbian sexual orientation- but they accept the responsibility to examine Alexander's world from his own times, rather than the modern times. Jeanne's article has tried to present the social attitudes of the times and she has done a good job, for the most part. She has not tried to portray homosexuality in a negative way, but has tried to explain how the term is, in essence, meaningless in a time when said term did not exist, the separation into orientation did not exist and sexual behaviours were more fluid than they are allowed to be now.
Yes, there are people on the site that have a bias against gay orientation, and I doubt anything will change their view- but I think the majority are quite comfortable with seeing Alexander- and his world and time- as having a diferent view towards sexuality, sexual behaviours.
Regards,
Sikander