Historical anecdotes

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Historical anecdotes

Post by yiannis »

Are you aware of these anecdotes:1. Anaximenes reluctantly accompanied Alexander the Great on his campaign against the Persians, during which the Macedonian forces captured his native city of Lampsacus (in Asia Minor).
Anxious to save his town from destruction, Anaximenes sought, and was granted, an audience with the king. Anticipating his plea, however, Alexander immediately swore by the sacred river Styx that he would not grant Anaximenes' request. "My lord," Anaximenes replied, "I have only come to ask that you destroy Lampsacus."2. Library of AlexandriaAfter conquering the city of Alexandria in 642, 'Omar's general 'Amr Ibn Al-as, sent a messenger to ask 'Omar how he wished to deal with the texts - many of them from classical antiquity - contained in its famous library. "If the writings of the Greeks agree with the Koran they are superfluous and need not be preserved," 'Omar replied. "If they disagree they are pernicious, and ought to destroyed." 'Amr promptly ordered that hundreds of thousands of manuscripts be used to fuel the furnaces which heated the city's public baths. It is said that they kept them supplied for six months.3. Spartan ReplyHaving subdued (or formed alliances with) all of the other major Greek city-states, Philip II (the father of Alexander the Great) finally turned his attention to Lacedaemon, home of the recalcitrant Spartans (from whom the word 'laconic' derives). "You are advised," he warned, "to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city." Philip soon received the enemy's reply: "If."I was aware of the first two, but the third one was new to me... :-)
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Historical anecdotes

Post by marcus »

I particularly liked the last one. I think I have come across them all at one time or another, but I'd forgotten all of them.Thanks for that!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

I've also seen all three anecdotes before, including the last one, though I've never been able to verify its source. If I remember correctly, I saw it on a website that lists humorous anecdotes. There is a slightly similar quote in Plutarch's Moralia that amused me - if anyone hasn't realized it by now, I'm extremely fond of these books. :-)From the chapter called Sayings of the Spartans: Philip wrote at the time when he entered their country, asking whether they wished that he should come as a friend or as a foe; and they made answer, "Neither."Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

I particlarly liked this one re, Philip, ATG's dad.
'When Philip wished to take a certain city with unusually strong fortifications and one of the inhabitants remarked that it was impregnable, he(Phil)asked, if even gold could not scale its walls.'
lazar

Post by lazar »

Anecdote on origin of name Makedonia.Farmer was heading north up the hills of Mt. Olympus, after bying some oil and vinegar from nearest town,when he was met by some Greek speaking people, who asked him: Where are you going? - in Greek.The farmer did not understand what he was asked and just stood there asking himself what do these people want.They, the Greek speaking people, noticed that the farmer did not understand them and they tried to ask him showing with their hands towards the Mt. Olynpus and putting their hands in a questionable matter.Then the farmer spoke: NA KA DOMA.Greek speaking people did not understand him, asked him again, and the farmer said the same thing: NA KA DOMA. Greek speaking peoplegot that words as:

MA KE DO NA. Thus they thought that he is going to his country which is called MAKEDONIA.NOTE: The farmers words NA KA DOMA meant that he is headed towards HOME.Best RegardsLazar
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Nice story, better understood if you speak Slavic, I guess.It must be a very old story since the name Macedonia is used since the 2nd millenia BC.But as you say it's an anecdote...
lazar

Post by lazar »

That's right Yannis, it is an anecdote like most of ANCIENT HISTORY ANECDOTES which if they are telling todays Greece view of the History are true, otherwise they are not TRUE... That seems to me as a shauvinistic view.And i am not talking about todays Greece nor Republic of Macedonia, i talk only about Ancients. If you can cope with that OK, if not then it is bad.I am not talking about DESCENDANTS, talking only about ANCIENT's ethnicity.Don't start the thing about the Descendants cause you know in your soul that you are not right, since there was a HUGE MIX OF NATIONS in the last 2000 years in the Balkans including Greece.AAight?Best Regards,Lazar
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Absolutelly agree on the mix so I don't feel "anything bad deep inside". I'm also speaking of the ancient Macedonians, not the modern ones. The ancient ones were Greek, the ones called Macedonians in modern times are Slavs.
lazar

Post by lazar »

Thank you Yannis,your statement is true, yet, halfway.Ancient Macedonians were Macedonians, the ones called Macedonians today are mixed with Slavs.Best Regards,lazar
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

If what you say is true Lazar, then they must have been VERY mixed!Cheers,
Yiannis
gb
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by gb »

Please, there are pl+¬nty of - if I may say so rather tiresome - topics about that subject already. Don't let it spill over to others...
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

On the other hand Marjolein, you must admit that it warms up the spirits a bit, doesn't it? :-)
gb
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by gb »

I bet it's possible to see when these debates flare up from the amount of traffic on the site.Every couple of weeks it spikes...