Philip II of Macedonia: Greater than Alexander

Discuss Philip's achievements and Macedonia pre-Alexander

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Philip II of Macedonia: Greater than Alexander

Post by marcus »

Nicator wrote:Marcus,
Of course, the Greeks didn't have sophisticated accounting methods like today (and it's silly? to even mention it). But I STRONGLY disagree regarding the manipulation of apparent wealth via income/expenses, and asset/liabilities. There was then as now, many ways to manipulate wealth (and what the royals got to see of it). In fact, because the controls were so primitive, it would have been even easier to hide the size of shipments and to take portions of the shipments aside for other uses (at a higher price). The very fact that there was 'scarcity' leads to opportunity (...and higher price). Where money is concerned, no capitalist, then or now, would easily let his hard won earnings slip away to some government bureaucrat. Herein lies another good example of reading the source material and not extrapolating the obvious.

And regarding your hypothesis of the puzzled Greeks, as I stated earlier, these were international types not limited to the spartan economic rigors to which the average Greek was enslaved. And countries such as Egypt and Persia certainly produced yearly surplus' of grain. This was necessary to offset years of drought.
Have you read Moses Finlay, The Ancient Economy?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Nicator wrote:Paralus,
I can see that you posts are becoming increasingly 'hostile' in nature. And I can see that this hostility is 100% aimed at me. This is strange coming from you.
Oh I think you've misread that. Then again, you wouldn't be the first. After a while one becomes somewhat direct. Whether such directness is "hostile" is in the eye of the "directee" I suppose. Such as the following occasion it:
Nicator wrote:Nonetheless, I am well aware of where the army was, where Alexander died, the context of all of it, where Alexander got his army, engineers, and siege train...
Yet you also write:
Nicator wrote:He took the machine developed by his father and fundamentally changed its character and capability by reversing the role of infantry and cavalry [...] his adaptations to so many different military styles of combat (pitched battle, skirmish, guerrilla,and siege) and his willingness to expand his machine with whatever tools (personnel, weapons) was beyond what Philip ever did.

One might be excused for thinking that Philip had never "adapted" to these forms of combat nor "expanded his machine". The rude fact is that he engaged in all those forms of warfare and even used what today would be termed disinformation (not the first time) to storm the mercenary force holding the pass into Boeotia prior to the confrontation at Chaeronea.

It might, in rejoinder, be roundly proclaimed that Philip's siege of Perinthus (and Byzantium) was a failure the like of which Alexander would not abide. Whilst the siege was abandoned, such a judgement would be to seriously misunderstand the strategic situation. You'll pardon me, I hope, for digressing as the background is necessary. At the time Philip was at war with Athens - a matter largely of choice as she was largely destitute – and was consolidating gains in eastern Thrace and the Propontis. His actions raised the concern of the Great king – far too early for Philip’s liking you can be certain – as well as “the Chians, Coans, Rhodians, and some others of the Greeks” (Diod. 16.77.2). The importance of these latter is easy to overlook but critical. In the mid 350’s Athens had been fighting a war with her “allies” of the second “Athenian Confederacy” (the "Social War"). Her general, Chares, had supported Artabazus (as we know from elsewhere). The Great King, having had enough of the rubbish, sent a direct diplomatic word to Athens that he would enter the war on behalf of those allies in revolt with 300 ships. Athens recalled her general and the “rebel” allies were allowed their secession. Who were they? None other than the “Chians, Rhodians, Coans, and also the Byzantians” (Diod.16.27.1). Philip had not only succeeded in arousing the interest of Persia but had mended relations between his enemy, Athens, and her estranged former “allies”. Time, only for the moment, to pull one’s head in.

More importantly, not one scintilla of evidence is presented for Alexander's apparent complete remaking of the entire tactical use of the Macedonian army and its components; simply a bald statement. This is redolent of M. M. Markle's assertion that Philip did not employ the sarisa until Chaeronea (even then, it was the so called "cavalry sarisa" and used by Alexander) and that, under Alexander, the Macedonians only "very rarely" used the weapon (really only at Gaugamela). At least he attempted proof of what remains a silly position.
Diod.16.4.5-7
When the armies approached each other and with a great outcry clashed in the battle, Philip, commanding the right wing, which consisted of the flower of the Macedonians serving under him, ordered his cavalry to ride past the ranks of the barbarians and attack them on the flank, while he himself falling on the enemy in a frontal assault began bitter combat […] but later as the horsemen pressed on from the flank and rear and Philip with the flower of his troops fought with true heroism, the mass of the Illyrians was compelled to take hastily to flight. When the pursuit had been kept up for a considerable distance and many had been slain in their flight…
Clearly Philip used his cavalry well in this battle and used it for pursuit and rout. Philip is also described as having 3,000 cavalry at Crocus Field (Diod. 16.35.4-5) where he won due to the bravery of the Thessalian cavalry contingent. Seems he used cavalry well - especially in pursuit.

At his ultimate battle – Chaeronea – he had some 2,000 cavalry. Seems this cavalry was not used outside of pursuit as it does not appear in what remains of the source tradition. That will be due to the fact that the Greeks took up a defensive infantry position anchored on both flanks thus denying the use of the Macedonian cavalry.
Nicator wrote:… and that Alexander was the Argead heir (though, why exactly you bring that up in this context is beyond me). Then you bring up something about his army being alarmed because all they see is a clamoring clack of marshals...isn't this a case where YOU have taken things out of context to prove your own point(s)?
Arrian Anabasis 6.12.2-3:
When they ceased their lamentation, they became spiritless, and felt perplexed as to the man who was to become the leader of the army; for many of the officers seemed to stand in equal rank and merit, both in the opinion of Alexander and in that of the Macedonians. They were also in a state of perplexity how to get back in safety to their own country, being quite enclosed by so many warlike nations, some of whom had not yet submitted, and who they conjectured would fight stoutly for their freedom while others would no doubt revolt as soon as they were relieved of their fear of Alexander.
The context is clear: the army fears it has lost its king and has no clear choice as successor. This is the self same situation that would result in armed rebellion in Babylon. The marshals were clearly not “bestest pals” as Arrian and Plutarch note later
Nicator wrote:It seems though, that you've only helped to prove my point, i.e...Alexander was more than just a cheerleader, he was king and the undisputed leader of the army. Indeed, he was heavily relied upon.
No. I have only stated the obvious fact that the Macedonian king – be it Philip, Alexander or Perdiccas – was more than a cheerleader.
Diod.16.2.4-5
But when he [Perdiccas] was defeated in a great battle by the Illyrians and fell in the action, Philip his brother, who had escaped from his detention as a hostage, succeeded to the kingdom, now in a bad way. For the Macedonians had lost more than four thousand men in the battle, and the remainder, panic-stricken, had become exceedingly afraid of the Illyrian armies and had lost heart for continuing the war.
And they were at home when they lost Perdiccas. The situation will have been no different had Philip led them to this position and died.
Nicator wrote:I am also well aware of the fiscal and monetary context to which the ancients were subjected in contrast to our own. Like Marcus' comment about the sophisticated accounting methods, it's ridiculous to even make this comment.
Well it wasn’t me postulating “international […] big money types”. Where they smoking Peter Stuyvesant? (now that's "rediculous").
Nicator wrote:But beyond all that, come on Paralus take a stand and tell us...IS IT YOUR CONTENTION THAT PHILIP WAS GREATER THAN ALEXANDER?
Why must it come to such? There are other sites where such useless comparisons are de rigueur. The simple – and utterly unalterable fact – is that Alexander would never be spoken about had not Philip created both Alexander and the state he inherited.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Paralus wrote:
Nicator wrote:But beyond all that, come on Paralus take a stand and tell us...IS IT YOUR CONTENTION THAT PHILIP WAS GREATER THAN ALEXANDER?
Why must it come to such? There are other sites where such useless comparisons are de rigueur. The simple – and utterly unalterable fact – is that Alexander would never be spoken about had not Philip created both Alexander and the state he inherited.
I think that's an unalterable fact about All empires though. Just because the King leaves his heir a great foundation does not mean the Heir cannot royally screw things up. Alexander had the opportunity to make many wrong moves in even the first few DAYS of his reign. But he didn't. He made just the right moves to not only subdue and control those around him, but made it possible for him and his army to conquer. This must have been extreemely hard to do. Just being a passive ruler in Macedonia and keeping what Philip created safe from those around him would have been hard enough. Of course we wouldn't be talking about Alexander if Philip had not created him. (?). but I do not believe Philip would get nearly the amount of attention he does if it weren't for Alexander, which I believe that says more for the son than the father.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

spitamenes wrote:...but I do not believe Philip would get nearly the amount of attention he does if it weren't for Alexander, which I believe that says more for the son than the father.
Rubbish. The son might have done a Perdiccas and died on the field and yet we would still read of Philip. There was more than one ancient "Philipic History" and for good reason: the man had taken a destitute, backward kingdom which was at the mercy of its neighbours (including Athens) and made the pre-eminent power of Europe.

The outrageous fortune of literary source preservation favours the son over the father. If only more remained of Philip's time other than Diodorus' capriciously contracted and chronologically confused summary...
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Paralus wrote:
spitamenes wrote:...but I do not believe Philip would get nearly the amount of attention he does if it weren't for Alexander, which I believe that says more for the son than the father.
Rubbish. The son might have done a Perdiccas and died on the field and yet we would still read of Philip. There was more than one ancient "Philipic History" and for good reason: the man had taken a destitute, backward kingdom which was at the mercy of its neighbours (including Athens) and made the pre-eminent power of Europe.

The outrageous fortune of literary source preservation favours the son over the father. If only more remained of Philip's time other than Diodorus' capriciously contracted and chronologically confused summary...
Alexander dying out of country has little to do with anything. What he accomplished out of country before his death does. The very large majority of what I have read on Philip has been through the sources of Alexander. If Alexander did not become King I do not believe I would know much of anything about King Philip II of Macedon. His achievements were very respectable, but not unheard of. Alexanders on the other hand were off the charts, not just for his time but for any time. If a father can gain recognition by his sons achievements then I think that says a lot for the son.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

spitamenes wrote: Alexander dying out of country has little to do with anything. What he accomplished out of country before his death does.
In the country or out of the country is irrelevant. The son might have died in Thrace in 335 (as Perdiccas died in Illyria). That doesn't mean that we would not read of Philip; clearly we would.
spitamenes wrote:The very large majority of what I have read on Philip has been through the sources of Alexander. If Alexander did not become King I do not believe I would know much of anything about King Philip II of Macedon.
Which only indicates a need to read more.

As I've attempted to illustrate, fortune has decided which texts are preserved and which are lost forever. Were we to be left with only Xenophon's works for the first half of the fourth cenutury then what we would know of Pelopidas and Epaminondas would amount to a blackhead on the rump of an elephant. Fortunately we have enough of others works to realise not only who this pair were but also their importance in Fourth century affairs.

The case of Philip is similar to the example of the two Thebans above. That there are reflections of Philip in the Alexander historians is understandable but they are far from all that was written about the father. Theopompus of Chios thought Philip important enough an individual to cease his Hellenica and write a "Philipica". Anaxamines, the author of the fragment of never ending argument, also thought Philip worthy of a "Philipicca". Both of these were begun during Philip's lifetime and likely before the son had developed facial hairs. Philip, one can be certain, also bulked large in Callisthenes' Hellenica.

The only problem is that none of these writers' works have survived down to us.

Someone who likely had access to these (and others) - either directly or through another historian - was compelled to write the following:
For Philip was king over the Macedonians for twenty-four years, and having started from the most insignificant beginnings built up his kingdom to be the greatest of the dominions in Europe, and having taken over Macedonia when she was a slave to the Illyrians, made her mistress of many powerful tribes and states. And it was by his own valour that he took over the supremacy of all Hellas with the consent of the states, which voluntarily subordinated themselves to his authority. Having subdued in war the men who had been plundering the shrine at Delphi and having brought aid to the oracle, he won a seat in the Amphictyonic Council, and because of his reverence for the gods received as his prize in the contest, after the defeat of the Phocians, the votes which had been theirs. Then when he had conquered in war Illyrians, Paeonians, Thracians, Scythians, and all the peoples in the vicinity of these, he planned to overthrow the Persian kingdom, and, after transporting his armaments into Asia, was in the act of liberating the Greek cities; but, cut short by Fate in mid-career, he left armies so numerous and powerful that his son Alexander had no need to apply for allies in his attempt to overthrow the Persian supremacy. And these deeds he accomplished, not by the favour of Fortune, but by his own valour. For King Philip excelled in shrewdness in the art of war, courage, and brilliance of personality. But, not to anticipate his achievements in my introduction, I shall proceed to the continuous thread of the narrative after first briefly retracing his early period.

That is, of course, Diodorus (16.1.3-6).
Paralus

Academia.edu
the_accursed
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by the_accursed »

Nicator wrote:Philip was perhaps not so much of an original thinker....not a creative genius. But his accomplishments appear to be borne of a rote methodical and purposeful nature.
If that's what you honestly think, then discussion is probably meaningless. In my opinion, Philip was the very definition of an original thinker, and the Macedonian army and what he accomplished with it irrefutable evidence of his creative genius. But yes, Philip was definitely methodical and purposeful. On that we agree. And in my book, methodical and purposeful beats impulsive and purposeless every time. "Pothos" is in my opinion just a romanticised word for Alexander's regular impulses to do irrational and often dangerous things, both for himself and for the army, for no other reason than that it gave him a kick. An immature, selfish, murderous, impulse-driven man with poor judgment is how I'd describe him. Not good traits in a leader.
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Paralus wrote:
spitamenes wrote: Alexander dying out of country has little to do with anything. What he accomplished out of country before his death does.
In the country or out of the country is irrelevant. The son might have died in Thrace in 335 (as Perdiccas died in Illyria). That doesn't mean that we would not read of Philip; clearly we would.
spitamenes wrote:The very large majority of what I have read on Philip has been through the sources of Alexander. If Alexander did not become King I do not believe I would know much of anything about King Philip II of Macedon.
Which only indicates a need to read more.
I agree with you there, I would like to read more in depth on Philip. I do think that many people, not just myself, are introduced to Philip through first reading of Alexander.
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Paralus wrote: fortune has decided which texts are preserved and which are lost forever.
Fortune favors who? :)
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Paralus,
Are there any surviving texts of Callisthenes Hellenica that you were speaking of?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:Paralus,
Are there any surviving texts of Callisthenes Hellenica that you were speaking of?
Unfortunately there aren't. We only know about the Hellenica because it is referred to in other writers' works. If I recall correctly there are some fragments remaining, preserved by those other writers.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:
Paralus wrote: fortune has decided which texts are preserved and which are lost forever.
Fortune favors who? :)
The bold, if we are to believe Virgil ... :D
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Thank you Marcus. And what might your view be? Do you believe Alexander has a prominent role in Philips popularity? Or would he be discussed as much as he is nowdays even without the help of his sons fortunes in conquest?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:Thank you Marcus. And what might your view be? Do you believe Alexander has a prominent role in Philips popularity? Or would he be discussed as much as he is nowdays even without the help of his sons fortunes in conquest?
I have about three minutes to write a reply before I have to go back into the classroom ...

I certainly don't think that Philip would be *less* 'popular' had Alexander not done all he did. It is possible that he would be *more* popular had Alexander not succeeded him, or had he died later. Philip has certainly been overshadowed by Alexander, but that process started in the 3rd century BC! Had Philip not died when he did, he would have invaded Asia, and *everything* would have changed, which means that it is possible that Philip would have received much more attention than he has done.

Consider that Alexander himself referred to Philip's achievements in the Opis Mutiny speech, and the "old guard" such as Cleitus referred back to Philip's reign and felt that Alexander fell short.

Bell's gone, better go ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

spitamenes wrote:Do you believe Alexander has a prominent role in Philips popularity? Or would he be discussed as much as he is nowdays even without the help of his sons fortunes in conquest?
Regardless of how Philip is discussed (or not) today, the fact remains that he had histories written of him before his son developed pubic hairs.

Also, as Marcus has mentioned, the phalanx - the "rank and file" - had a very large soft spot for the father. Philip had, after all, made them what they were: citizens of the most powerful state in Europe. It is this "reflection" of Philip that powers the "rebellions" both at Opis and Babylon. Philip was remembered as the Macedonian king and it was his son - mentally deficient or not - that would be their king rather than a mongrel Macedonian / Asian yet to be born.

As Antigenes' messenger reminded the younger Macedonian drafts from the homeland at Gabiene:
"Wicked men, are you sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander?" and added that in a little while they would see that these veterans were worthy both of the kings and of their own past battles.
The Argyraspides certainly remembered Philip.
Paralus

Academia.edu