Why are we still facinated by Alexander the Great?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kbp

Why are we still facinated by Alexander the Great?

Post by kbp »

I am writing to inquire whether anyone knows the name of the architect of Alexandria (city planner etc)Thanks
Maciek

Re: Why are we still facinated by Alexander the Great?

Post by Maciek »

I've read three ancient sources and there is no name of Alexandrias' architect in it. Curtius Rufus and Plutarch writes that he showed boundaries of the city and ordered his men to project and build the city. Arrian says that he showed the boundaries, he himself showed where has to stand - the market place, what and how many temples has to be there and where the wall was to be build. But there is no architect name. Maciek
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pliny says that Dinochares (or Dinocrates) was the architect.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

That sounds right. I am pretty sure that I have read the name of the architect somewhere, and it would make sense if it were in Pliny. I think his name must be mentioned in a footnote to one of the Penguin translations of Arrian, Curtius or Plutarch, because I've definitely read it somewhere recently!All the bestMarcus
Carl

Post by Carl »

I was reminded of the name while I was painfully trudging my way through Manfredi's book 'The Sands of Ammon'. After some searching through a number of critical editions, I found a reference in Curtius (Loeb) that says that Pliny, Ammianus Marcellinus and Valerius Maximus are the ancient sources for the architect's name.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Good lord! Does that mean that Manfredi got something right? It sounds as if I was reading it in Curtius, then...All the bestMarcus