To Susan..

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Sikander

To Susan..

Post by Sikander »

Greetings Susan,
I know you are quite busy, but Tre suggested I contact you and "beg" a review of Carney's book on the women of Makedon from you.. is this something you would consider? You can take a look at the Book reviews page to see how we do it; a bio is not necessary (but a few more would be nice). You can reply privately to me at philoalexandros@hotmail.com
Regards,
Sikander
Susan

Re: To Susan..

Post by Susan »

Yes, thank you, I'll be very pleased. I'll contact you privately as well.
RegardsSusan
HEPHAISTION

Re: To Susan..

Post by HEPHAISTION »

I MUST SAY IT FOR A SECOND TIME: THE CORRECT GREEK WORD IS PHILALEXANDROS. THE TWO VOWELS BECOME ONE.
OTHER EXAMPLE:PHILLIPOS NOT PHILOIPPOS.
AS PLUTARCH INFORMS US ALEXANDER SAID:PARMENION WAS PHILOVASILIKOS(IN GREEK MEANS A PERSON WHO LOVES THE KING) BUT HEPHAISTION WAS PHILALEXANDROS(A PERSON WHO LOVES ALEXANDER). THE VERB IS +û+ë+ï+à+Ö-+Ö (PHILEO OR PHILO) WHICH MEANS LOVE.THE WORD PHILOS MEANS THE FRIEND FROM THE SAME VERB. IPPOS MEANS HORSE AND PHILLIPOS MEANS THE PERSON WHO LOVES THE HORSES. PHILO IN MODERN GREEK MEANS KISS BUT THE WORD PHILOS STILL MEANS THE FRIEND.
Sikander

No correction required...

Post by Sikander »

And I must, obviously, repeat myself: the address posted is the correct email address. As others have pointed out, a person must use what is available according to what has already been used on the net.
While I appreciate your passion for correcting language, in this case it is neither helpful nor necessary; similar to if those for whom English is a first language were to go about "correcting" incorrect use of English on this Forum. It would serve no purpose and might, indeed, create more problems.
Regards,
Sikander