Wondering

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Apostolis

Wondering

Post by Apostolis »

I am wondering why the name of the website is "pothos". In Greek it means desire, so I can't understand what kind of desire connects its creators with Alexandros.
The Webmaster

Re: Wondering (about Pothos)

Post by The Webmaster »

As the person who chose it I guess I should answer!Pothos is often used in ancient times to describe Alexander's "yearning" to discover more/conquer more etc. It also described my desire to learn more about internet technologies (one of the reasons for setting up the site).Also, alexanderthegreat.com, alexander.com alxanderthegreat.co.uk etc. etc. had gone and I wanted a shorter, easier to type name!Thomas
HEPHAISTION

Post by HEPHAISTION »

POTHOS. A WORD WE MEET IN ARRIAN'S BOOK ABOUT ALEXANDRER.+É+Å+ê+Å+ô +ï+ü+î+é+ü+ì+à+ë +ü+ò+ö+Å+ì...
Maciek

Post by Maciek »

I think this word "pothos" is like a symbol - many polish translators of Alexs' books and also polish writers often uses this word in it's orginal form and it's understadeble for people who reads this.