ALEXANDER WAS RELIGIOUS

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

HEPHAISTION

ALEXANDER WAS RELIGIOUS

Post by HEPHAISTION »

"+ü+É+à+ô+ö+ü+ï+è+ü+î+à+ì +ô+Å+ë +ï+ë+é+ü+ì+Ö+ö+Å+ì +ü+û+ê+Å+ì+Å+ì +è+ü+ë +ô+î+ò+æ+ì+ü+ì +Å+É+Ö+ô +É+ü+ò+ô+ç+¬ +É+æ+Å+ô +ö+Å+ò+ô +ê+à+Å+ò+ô +î+ë+è+æ+Å+ï+Å+â+Å+ò+î+à+ì+Å+ô"
ALEXANDER TO HIS TEACHER LEONIDAS MANY YEARS AFTER A FACT BETWWEN THEM WHEN ALEXANDER WAS CHILD AS PLUTARCH INFORMS US.*SORRY IF IT'S GREEK TO YOU BUT IS REALLY GREEK!
Susan

Re: ALEXANDER WAS RELIGIOUS

Post by Susan »

HephaistionI have to say that I really cannot see the point of posting messages in Greek script when it means nothing to most of us - you're not communicating anything and that is really the point of a forum - exchange of ideas and information. Plus what is the point of the capitals - it's generally regarded as impolite on the Net.
chris

Post by chris »

I'm unsure what you're implying - Alexander was religious? In what terms? Pious? Devout?.....Godly?
As a man of his time,in his position, what DID he believe?
Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

The story goes that when Alex was a boy and was participating in ceremonies and sacrifices his teacher would say to him not to use too much incense because it was very expensive. So when he conquered Persia he sends him back as a present a carriage full of insence. I'm not sure if this is fact of fiction.
Susan,
I believe you're a bit harsh on Hephaistion. If someone likes writing in capitals that fine by me. The point is not how does someone write but what does he write. I agree though that his posting was a bit strange.
Regards,
Yiannis
Susan

Post by Susan »

I think Thomas (the webmaster) has already posted about the use of capitals. As a standard piece of netiquette, it is regarded as shouting :
see http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html
"Use mixed case. UPPER CASE LOOKS AS IF YOU'RE SHOUTING"I think the point is, that this forum has been active for many years and we have seen that it functions best when emotions are kept at an even keel - once one person starts shouting others join in and sooner or later the moderator steps in. On a one-by-one basis perhaps it's no big problem, but if everyone starts the whole system gets degraded. You only have to look at the state of many forums on the Internet, with long threads of attack and counter-attack and precious few facts underlying them, to appreciate what is on 'pothos' - so it is worth trying to keep it to 'netiquette' standards.RegardsSusan