Macedonian coins

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Yiannis

Macedonian coins

Post by Yiannis »

During his times was each district/city under ATG's power using it's own coins or did they used the currency that ATG struck?
OK, for sure the Greek city/states continued using their own but what about the liberated Greek cities of Asia Minor, or Syria, Egypt etc...regards,
Yiannis
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Macedonian coins

Post by maciek »

He had first coin mint in Tarsos. But fast made a lot of his coins and started to make them from old ones. He never forbided to use old coins so both and more types was in run at the same time. Hes pressure was of course to use his coins so after taking Persian treasury he made coins from the gold to have majority and all trade shifted into his money.
I know I explaned it quite not so clear sorry but I hope there is some sence in it.
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

You mean that he was melting the Persian coins and used the gold to make his own (it makes sense!). The Persian coins were called "Dariki" (deriving from king "Darius") in Greece and were considered very valuable.
One of the major consequences of ATG's conquest was that he put into circulation the huge Persian treasury. In this way he invigorated the world economy. He spend huge amounts of money in building new cities (and new armies!).
Now, that's a nice subject to discuss: The first globalization in history!your views everyone?regards,
Yiannis
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

That is what I think on this. Reading all the books about his motives in conquering the Asia I have one major conclusion that he wanted to join all the countries in one huge empire with mixed culture, castoms and one economy.
He could just remain in Asia with all this tresury and be a very rich king but he prefered to spend that money to his army and even on soldiers returnig home, also to rebuild some temples and even cities.