Mistress of alexander the great

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Mistress of alexander the great

Post by Linda »

John
Olympias was powerful because she was Alexander's mother - the Crown Prince's mother. Her power came through him. Ada was different - she, like Cleopatra, Elizabeth I, could be a monarch in her own right; it was the custom of her country. And she was also supported by Alexander. This is not to say that an intelligent woman could not influence her own destiny to some extent, especially if she was unique in some way. Like Susan, I think Barsine was a political alliance. Perhaps Parmenio thought it was about time Alexander started making alliances of this kind, which is why he suggested it. It was usual for the women of defeated rulers to be subsumed into the new family, to cement relations.
Dave

Post by Dave »

It is definetly Thais. Can't understand what all the doubt is.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

In fact, wasn't she married to Memnon's brother, Mentor, before being taken up by Memnon after Mentor's death?All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
John

Post by John »

I think so.I find it suspisciously coincidental that Memnon "got sick and died" at a time when he posed a great threat to Alexander's plans, and then his widow Barsine ends up with Alexander - bearing him a son, even, Hercules.John