Early Viewers "Stone" Alexander Film

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

xxx

Early Viewers "Stone" Alexander Film

Post by xxx »

Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Early Viewers

Post by Nicator »

I'm going to refrain from remarking until I see it myself, but those reviews do make your eyelids raise. If true, then we are all in for a very BIG dissappointment. Let's just keep our fingers crossed for now.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Sorry, Nick, after listening to the soundtrack, I know I am disappointed already. It has no depth!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

At Aintitcoolnews.com, there are two reviews which sound like the review by Jeannette Walls. Christopher Plummer gets the thumbs up, but the rest of the movie is thumbs down. Check out Harry and Moriarty, two reviews of Alexander.
thegreeksarehere

Post by thegreeksarehere »

All I can say is to wait until you see the movie youself to decided your opinion on it. Sometimes for movies their are idiots in the press that churn out bad reviews of a film, just for the hell of it. I say to all of you view the trailer again and see that it's a well constructed, epic film.
luisfc1972

Post by luisfc1972 »

i suppose you people havent seen the clips weve been given? "but if you insult me again, ill kill you. "phillip to alexander (awesome background music). have faith, the story of alexander is too great, only a retard can mess it up. oliver stone is no retard. as for you doubters that are beginning to lose faith, remember all the bad reviews Gladiator got before it was released? ive been following this movie since its birth and ive seen every single clip out there. i love what im seeing and i absolutely love what vangelis has done.
for all you doubters, just wander through this site.http://www.techcomforces.com/alexander.html
luisfc1972

Post by luisfc1972 »

p.s. janet, you exude something very negative. your vibe is just wrong. you hope this movie bombs. right? anyway, in two weeks all you doubters will see the error of your ways. you will regret these feelings you have now. this movie will be good. trust me. mark my words. ill come back after Nov 24 to laugh at the doubters.
bye for now
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Dear Luis ---Please be more careful with Jan. Jan doesn't want to see the movie fail. Jan is just genuinely worried, just like many of us.I would like to reverse your argument: the story of Alexander is so "great", that it is very likely someone messes it up. Very difficult to do it justice in 2 hours of moving images.Years ago I asked Forum members what their "preferred storyline" for an Alexander-movie would be. We all came up with unsatisfying answers. It is just nearly impossible to fit his dynamic life of 32 years in a compact work of art. (It makes you admire Arrian even more.)And: remember Rossen's movie? It shows that a (good) director faces great troubles and overreaches himself dealing with Alexander.For the time being, I am afraid the negative critics could be right. If that is so, it might be another 50 years before the next director dares to burn his fingers on an Alexander project. (I probably won't live to see that.)Regards ---Nick
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

True representaion of the film or not, the Metro (free rag, but pretty reliable) seems to have picked up on the story, and says the film is a turkey. It says Colin's acting is uninspired and the story is incoherent. Sigh. You think after Troy they would have realised that it needs a lot of work to make a good historical epic - not just good looking actors, battle scenes and sex..Linda
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Well, I think we've all learned the "worst" about the movie over the past few weeks. Once you've gotten past the major issue of Stone changing the chronology of events; and after coming to terms with the more minor issues of hairstyles, etc. - well, tinted frames and unusual camera angles are hardly likely to shock. :-) I never trust reviewers anyway. Can't count the number of times they've panned a movie that I loved, or praised one that I absolutely hated. I remember coming home from a preview of Diane Keaton's Little Drummer Girl (at least that's what I think it was called) and seeing TV news broadcasters singing potential-oscar-winning praises for one of the worst movies and some of the worst acting I have ever endured! That's my opinion, of course, but it just goes to show how far opinions can differ. I'm trying right now to give little attention to the reviews and the hype, though I don't think I'll be able to resist HBO's program, "Alexander, First Look" that starts broadcasting on November 15th. I've even avoiding taking more than a cursory look at Robin Lane Fox's making of the movie book, as I would rather be surprised when I see the film. Has anyone else bought this, by the way? Amazon in the US isn't selling any more copies except those from their dealers of used books - they told me their distributor was no longer supplying them, and then they cancelled my order which I had placed back in August! Perhaps it sold out? I had found a copy in a local bookstore, but haven't heard anyone else speak of it.Anyway, as far as the film goes, I'm waiting to judge for myself. It's difficult to ignore a nagging concern about Stone having only just completed his editing days after the movie was supposed to have originally been released. That usually bodes ill for a film - Stepford Wives is a recent example - but we will just have to wait and see. On the first day of release, I'll be there with bells on!Best regards,Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

The premier is apparantly on the 16th of November. Tuesday! In Hollywood!Linda - I agree, you can't always trust reviewers. I guess my expectations have been pretty high. But I think block-busters leave less room for differences of taste than the more story-based films, which can depend on whether you identify with the story or not. I went to see Secretary recently with two friends who thought it was trite rubbish, while I was nearly in tears. BUT, Alexander could be bloody brilliant, and let's hope so.
birdlover
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by birdlover »

I posted a link to a review from the Latino Review website (it was favorable- 3 stars) over in the other thread, "Early Viewers Stone". I also have a review (which was also favorable- 4 stars) from Empire Magazine in the UK, which I don't have a link to, but I have the text to. I can post it, if anyone wants to see it.Check the Latino Review's review out, at the link in the other thread.Dara
luisfc1972

Post by luisfc1972 »

more positive reviews. from aint it cool news. it goes to show that you shouldnt lose hope just because of some sour apples want to see this film fail for one reason or another.http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=18801
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Please due!Thanks for your time.Regards, Andrew
birdlover
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by birdlover »

Sorry, I found out the other article I mentioned is a no can do, for the internet.I apologize for that!Dara