Mieza Academy

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thalestris

Mieza Academy

Post by Thalestris »

Perusing the myriad resources of ATG has overwhelmed me, due to the fact that little is available on his early youth. Is there a reference available to provide *specific* information on Alexander's education experience in Mieza? I investigated "A Handbook to Life in Ancient Greece" by the Adkins pair to get a glimpse of youth education, read "The Phaedo" and "The Phaedrus" for another glimpse; I need *direct* information on Mieza as I have quite enough of peripheral information. Example: the environ of Mieza, the structure of the academy, the schedule, the assignments, the materials used. etc. Basically, I want to draw a mental image of Alexander's "school life" with his teacher, Aristotle. Thanks!!
nick
Somatophylax

Re: Mieza Academy

Post by nick »

I am not of much help, just suggestions...
1. Plutarch has two pages on Mieza, but you have probably checked them already.
2. Why not try a good, elaborate travel guide to Greece? There are these travel guides aimed especially at cultural tourism.
3. The webiste of Ruth (Ruthaki?) had some Mieza pictures. She posted some Forum contributions recently. Or e-mail her. She's been there.
Regards -
Nick
wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Mieza Academy

Post by wmp »

I last went to Mieza in May 2002, so if you want
any info on what the site looks like now, I can
provide. It was an unenclosed site, but when I
went there, they were working on what looked
suspiciously like a fence & gates (albeit wooden
- I guess they've got to use all those trees