Male paramours in antiquity

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Male paramours in antiquity

Post by beausefaless »

;-)
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Male paramours in antiquity

Post by ruthaki »

In response: l. Relationships between men in ancient times was not considered 'illicit' unless it was with boys under 12, in which case it was 'pedophilia' and deeply frowned on.2. Who says the ancient women weren't beautiful? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So whatever was the 'style' of the times (as now) was 'beautiful'. Anyway, where you there? How can you judge? Women are women -- humans -- and were likely the same then as now. Who knows? maybe even more 'beautiful'. And they certainly didn't rely on botox, face-lifts, tummy-tucks and other cosmetic surgery to enhance their looks. They were natural beauties. 3. Beauty comes from within.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Andrew, thanks so much. I can't stop laughing. You have made my day! Jan
Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

How sad & pathetic of little Andy & how sad- but typical- that a woman like you buys into this c**p & giggles to try to get "in" with the boys.
MODERATORS!!!!!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi, I thought maybe my post would be misunderstood, as I hadn't been laughing about the article but about being called majestic! I felt like a mountain for a moment! Then I happened to read something nice about Queen Noor, and thought of it as another kind of compliment, perhaps queenly. I was really just appreciating being mentioned in with all this wonderful company. Sorry that I was misunderstood. I happened to think of Jim Carrey's Majesty theatre movie also, but I was flattered no matter what.As for the real issue of the post, pedophilia, nothing humorous to me about that at all. As I am not experienced enough in Greek history to know exactly the mores of the day, I would not like to make a conjecture on that. I just recall that when the Persian women offered their sons to Alexander that he took offense, and was insulted by it, so I gather that he had had a high moral code regarding such things as boy children for pleasure.Thanks for mentioning the moderator post. I am very happy that I am so honored. Oleg has been a very good friend to me.Jan
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

;-)
Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

??? Don't get the Oleg ref- I'm asking the Pothos moderators to remove this thread- it stinks like the "joke"
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

Jan1. Persian did not offer Alexander their children - he was offered young male prostitutes (not children) by a petty king. He refused - the inference is not that he disapproved of homosexuality or same sex relations but of being offered what were basically prostitutes. And two - which suggested that he as some sort of libertine.2. Homosexuality is not the same as paedophilia. Maybe if you dream a dictionary, you can look it up.Linda
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

OOOPS! Sorry! about moderators I mean. I remember an occasion once when a guy told me that one reason that men have sex with one another is because that gays have better sex! I don't see any reason to get too upset about the why's myself, whether due to beauty or conditioning...
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

You just wish you had my dreams, don't you? That is a cheap shot!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

You just wish you had my dreams, don't you?
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Well, Andrew, I hope I am "IN" with you, whether you are one of the boys or men or whatever! I am so happy you appreciated my humor. I was highly flattered, and thank you for your remarks. I have read Agnes Savill's book about Alexander's sexuality, and the Greek mores, and someone posted a file on Alexander-Macedon about the Greek standards so that it can be read there.In every book, there is much discussion, but in all of the sources, so far there is little. So those people who are interested have to do a lot of research, and all else is conjecture. All sources have to be considered for who the author is as well. Just as John Prevas and Ian Worthington today make their own conclusions based upon their particular biases and prejudices, each is not a carbon copy of Robin Lane Fox or John Maxwell O'Brien. One learns to pick and choose and consider the written biography a product of the author's own choices of evidence and resulting conclusions.Alexander is coupled with women more than men: Barsine, Roxanne, Cleophis, Queen of Amazon, and according to Prevas, even the 365 concubines. so it goes. One can twist and turn statistics anyway one chooses.My last dream was so beautiful I wish that I could have posted it here: it was about his helmet, cuirasse, and greaves! I just loved it! Found the bow and arrow case, and vase finally in a book on the Exhibition held in America in 1982 which resembled the cuirasse. Wish the exhibit will go around again soon.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

In most jokes I ever saw, the fish was always a symbol for the male penis. I spect many a woman has got her man in the same way that Eve did! Stinking or otherwise! It ususally works!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Which moderator did let this joke get in? It didn't bother me for Eve to show up Adam in her fishing prowess! Men usually love the stink, and I will apologize for my bad penis joke now. But I have always seen cartoons with fish substituted for penis when men go fishing. Me love it when women have them by the balls!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hey Andrew, I am sincerely ashamed of myself today for letting this joke go too far. It only exposed me for being more interested in myself than in your adam and eve joke. But stinkin' women have never been reason enough for most men to avoid them, as usually it was an old adage that vagina smelled like cat food or dog food, and that usually is an attraction! Sorry to go so far on just a joke, but I just didn't take offense!