How can we...

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

luc
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

How can we...

Post by luc »

There is a very large group of people who are fans, devoted readers and so forth of the Titanic. I forget the name, but it's an organization you pay for and you join, and as a result these people were called to be extras on the movie Titanic. How can we build something like that for Alexander?
Thomas
Site Admin

Re: How can we...

Post by Thomas »

Interesting idea. this might be a good starting point, but what would people want to pay, and what service would they expect.Also how do you get to be the "official" group and get invited to be involved. Certainly it would be fun to be part of a film if it could be done.I would be happy to offer pothos.co.uk as the driver for this. I would be keen to generate a small amount of revenue to cover the web hosting costs. I can offer people a pothos.co.uk email address for example - that might be one of the hooks - but a co.uk address is not a great hook for a non-UK person. Perhaps I should register another domain?
luc

Post by luc »

I'll see what I can find on it, and how they created it. We might be able to do something like that, for how long I don't know...but it might require everything from advertisements in say for example the Archaelogy magazine and others to call people up. Anyone else with more ideas and infos?Luc
jorgios

Post by jorgios »

That sounds great to me, i know that id pay the dues no matter what, although im sketchy on what all the benefits would be. I do think, however that an international server would be better for the "Alexandrou Society" or (better name yet)"The Companions of Alexandros" hah.Anyways, if your asking , i would be interested in this at almost any reasonable price.
Regards.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I tend to agree. I'm not sure what the benefit could be - particularly as they could now create a realistic looking battle of Gaugamela, with the correct number of combatants, purely as computer graphics - and anyway, great though it would be to be an extra, the chance of actually seeing oneself on screen would be pretty minimal. However, if such a thing were arranged I would no doubt still be interested if, as Jorgios says, the price is right.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

My dear companions,I can't wait for the time to come for me to put on my helmet, armor, pick up my sarissa and stand beside you in the field of battle.Hurrah!
Yiannis
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Hi all:Great idea, Luc...Registered users on this site already *are* a club, just by having registered. Sure it could be formalized with dues, etc., but the recorded body of people already exists, all having already shown themselves to be devoted Alexandrophiles by participating in the Forum, etc.It's a matter of contacting the movie producer(s?) and saying, here we are!Then I guess we have to tell the King of Morocco's army to shove over, since there's already, what, 5,000 of them signed up, for the di Laurentis movie anyway. Perhaps Oliver Stone needs us more, but I for one am with Gore Vidal in not wanting to work with him ;-)Love & peace,
Karen
wmp

Post by wmp »

Yiannis, last time I stood next to someone in a
battle line, he gave me a very expensive tooth
job with the butt of his spear... Next time, I'll be more wary, but I'll certainly join
you!yours,wmp
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

:-)