Photos from the set of 'Alexander'

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

rebecca

Photos from the set of 'Alexander'

Post by rebecca »

Thought I would share this link to a site that has posted a number of pictures of Colin Farrell on the set of Oliver Stone's film (though I can't claim credit for finding the link myself -- some generous soul posted it on IMDb.com). Most are simply of him on horseback in regular clothing; of more interest are several of him in costume. Also of interest: Farrell's hair has been lightened for the role, and according to the site, Eric Bana is also in the film.
http://www.thezreview.co.uk/news/news1833.htm
Rebecca
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Photos from the set of 'Alexander'

Post by marcus »

Hi Rebecca,Thanks for that.I was reading an interview with Farrell in the Radio Times yesterday (UK TV listings magazine for those non-Brits who don't know what the RT is). It didn't do more than mention ATG, but there was a photo with his lightened hair... and all of a sudden I started thinking "OK, I can handle Farrell as Al". Those pictures seem pretty good, so I'm *much* happier about it.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

It's good he's practicing riding without stirrups but they better lose the bit cause they did not have power stirring back in those days! Just an ancient form of hackamores or bridles.
anna
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by anna »

I decided i "can handle" Collin as Al pretty fine, because he can act (when he wants and when he's guided in right direction);) Let's hope Stone knows how to guide him well. What i can't handle so far is his choice of Roxanne. Excuse me, but i can't.
Eric Bana?!!!! Consider me confused! This is the first time he's mentioned in this project. It looks like Eric, but i can't say for sure from the photos. Maybe it's someone who just looks like him? That Irish actor who plays Antigonius or another, who plays young Ptolemy?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Actually, Eric Bana has been associated with the project for some time - but perhaps it hasn't found its way onto this forum.His casting is probably as much to do with the fact that he's in Troy, too - obviously gaining a name as someone who looks good in a skirt :-).All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
None

Post by None »

There were bits (the Alexander Sarcophagus shows this)but the Friesian would not have been a good cavalry horse, even if they'd existed in those days.
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Dawson just doesn't cut it for me!
Kal

Post by Kal »

I would assume they'll costume the animal properly when they are actually shooting (but clearly they are not shooting in those pics).As for Eric Bana, he isn't listed anywhere on any of the casting or news sites, so if he was part of the cast for some time, why did nobody report it, especially since he's kind of an "it" boy now?
nick
Somatophylax

Re: my worst nightmares come true

Post by nick »

Argh!Is this it? I hate that stupid blonde "coup soleil" hair do. Is this Alexander? He looks like the average Briton returning from Playa des Ingles after two weeks sunbathing on the Canary Islands.And is this Bucephalas? Indeed, I suppose they have chosen a Frisian horse - looks like it. Frisians come from my country - Holland - and are best suited for funeral processions or hauling flowered carriages at wedding ceremonies. This is not a Thessalian horse. It's a Dutch one!The whole scene reminds me of people dressing up for the Mardi Grass festivals, commonly held here in February.Best regards -
Nick (utterly disappointed)
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Alexander's Sarcophagus??? I like your dreams!If you ever seen bits from the eighteen hundreds and sooner, those were primitive.
The Friesian is an old breed of horse dating from the Middle Ages. Its location of origin is Friesland in the northern Netherlands it would be difficult to date the origin of the Friesian horse with precision.
None

Post by None »

Andrew-
English may not be your first language, so I'll explain that I was not referring to the sarcophagus BELONGING TO Alexander (Alexander's sarcophagus), but to THE "Alexander Sarcophagus" which is the popular name given to the sarcophagus (currently on display in Istanbul, I think) which is thought to be that of the King Abdalonymous of Sidon, who was a contemporary of Alexander.Bits of the Middle Ages have no bearing on what may or may not have been in existence in the ancient past.If you read Xenophon, he appears to refer to both bits (sounds like a jointed snaffle) and the psalion (hackamore). You might also refer to Vigneron's "Le Cheval Danse l'Antiquite Greco-Romaine". Quote from Xenophon: so the Thessalian rider is wont on the open plain to guide his horse's steaming mouth with mobile bit..." There appears to be a reference also to curb-bits.
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

We better not have high hopes and aspirations on the forthcoming Alexander film, especially when it comes to historical accuracy. That way we'll be less disappointed when we actually see the film!Moreover, I bet that "Troy" will be even worse. I expect to see something in the line of "Zena".Oh well, the 300 Spartans were at least more honest...
Tre

Post by Tre »

I totally agree, but then I doubt anyone could make a movie I would be happy with, I'm too picky about detail but I have no problem with a Friesan horse being cast as Bukephalos since they look lovely on celluloid, i.e. 'Ladyhawke' :-)I've long given up on them casting a proper Alexander.Regards,Tre
Dinna

Post by Dinna »

I for one love the pics!Colin looks even better than ever...As for the movie I'm hoping it'll be good but I've given up hoping it'll be MY vision of things-because I'm sure I'd dissapointed when I saw it if that's what I wished for.As for Troy I don't know-it might turn out okay.But brad Pitt as Achilles?!No frikkin' way...
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Unfortunatelly same here! That's why I can never enjoy a historical movie. I'm too busy trying to locate inconsistencies, looking at the sandals, clothes, houses etc...
We should try to relax and look at it like a fairytale instead of an accurate impression, otherwise we might as well give up! :-)