Mosse: "Alexander: Destiny and Myth"

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

rjones2818
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Mosse: "Alexander: Destiny and Myth"

Post by rjones2818 »

I just finished reading this last night. I'm pretty sure that this is the best overview of Alexander that I've read from a modern scholar. If I were to suggest a beginning text (other than the 5 'primary' sources), this would be the one.Has anyone else read this and what are your thoughts on it?Rex A. Jones
(Yes, I finally registered).
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Mosse:

Post by marcus »

Hi Rex,Yes, I read Mosse a year or so ago, and very much enjoyed it. I'm not sure I consider it the best recent overview, but it was certainly amongst the best. Her chapter on the Roman Alexander was excellent.ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day RexI'm three parts of the way through as I type. One of five underway at present (an inveterate reader).It's quite a good "drawing together" of the views of Alexander that we currently have. I think she strays a little to the idealised Alexander once or twice too often, but so far so good.Her purpose seems not analysis of the material and evidence, but the of the various "pictures" we have of Alexander.One thing though, if I see another "something we will come back to" or "a subject we will return to later" I do think I may put it on a shelf for some considerable time. There must have been half a dozen in the first chapter!Paralus
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
rjones2818
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rjones2818 »

Michael,She does do that quite often, but she does go on to cover the points later. I noticed it while I was reading, but forgave it since the points were covered.Rex
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day RexIts on the shelf. She's done it three times in one small chapter. It's really becoming irritating - in the way that a buzz in the hi-fi from "dirty" power irritates. Almost like a pixilating LCD screen: I'm waiting for it, picking when next it will....Arghhhh!Paralus
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu