Riding times between points in Macedonia and Greece

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Riding times between points in Macedonia and Greece

Post by ruthaki »

Would anyone have any idea how long it might take a small party of cavalry and footsoldiers to travel from Pynda to just beyond Thermopylae? I'm trying to calculate riding time for the part in my novel when Polyperchon rides down to meet with Phokion at Pharygae (which was not far from the Hot Gates). I'm calcuating this based on overnight stops along the such as at Dion. Thanks in advance.
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

No question should be left unanswered.

The answer to your question can only be based on assumption. Assuming you mean descending from the ancient port city of Pydna a coastal route to avoid most of the highest areas of the Olympus and Ossa mountain ranges to Larissa then Crannon continuing to Pharsalus then down to Trachis which was north of the pass of Thermopylae, around ten days most likely two weeks taking your time with overnight stops.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Riding times from Pydna to south

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks for your reply to this. I had calculated roughly that same time but wasn't sure. Didn't want to make any glaring mistake.