Perspective Of Modern Iranians

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Perspective Of Modern Iranians

Post by kennyxx »

As I said before in our kitchen we have an Iranian who I talk to regulaly on matters relating Alexander. The guy is very moderate and aware of politics both in Iran and the world and is not biased towardsany religion as to far as to say. Why is it wrong to eat Pork when some god says its wrong. His answer was its food and if hungry why not eat it and god who ever he is can F*ck Off.

Anyway I asked how he thought modern Iranians thought about Alexander. I was expecting hostilaty. But none of it he said basically Iranians then and now really didnt mind because. In his words Alexander The Great didnt F*ck the peoplIt kind of makes sense the masses of moderate inteligent people dont really care whos in charge as long as they are treated fair and left in peace. He then compared Alexander with The Monghuls saying. THe Macedonians were educated or at least Alexander was and understood to keep the statuas Quo with the People unlike his generals who wanted them as subservants. The opinion about the Monghuls was just Vandalism and slaughter for the hell of it. I kinda reminded him that the monghuls wannted to do trade with the Persians until some bright spark thought it clever to send Ghengis Khans Representatives heads back to Ghenghis. So that wasnt really clever.

So its kinda calming to get some Iranian perspective. I know thats only one Iranian but it does kind of leave a moderate taste in there my mouth.

Reagrds

Kenny
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello

Shylock the jew says in the Merchant of Venice, when invited to eat with Antonio,

"Yes, to smell pork to eat of the habitation which your prophet the Nazarite conjured the devil into. I will buy with you, sell with you, talk with you,walk with you and so following but I will not eat with you, drink with you, nor pray with you. What news on the Rialto?"

And on a humorous note, when Jessica- Shylock's daughter elopes with a Christian, Lorenzo- Lancelot- the clown in the play- informs us that it will raise the price of pork.
The Merchant of venice was a "comedy" afterall or so Shakespeare would have us believe.

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
jan
Strategos (general)

An Iranian in the Kitchen

Post by jan »

:x That almost rhymes, Kenny! Nice of you to hire an Iranian in your kitchen! And to swap stories so much...about ATG. Americans are very paranoid about Iran these days. Is this one of the Iranians who had been for the Shah or for the Khomeini? It would make a lot of difference since the Shah had a big shindig at the site of Persepolis.
kennyxx

Post by kennyxx »

Jan Hi

Indeed as you say Americans hold Iranians with some caution. Although I talk to the guy and like to share stories. I behold what he says and hope I can trust what he says. Hes adamant that hes not Religious and talks openly about the way he feels Iran has changed and become opresive with the rise of the Mullas and religious extremists.

However I still hold suspicion with Muslims and its not deliberate. Over in london a year ago we had suicide bombers on trains and it became clear that the killers were home grown brainwashed fundamentalists. One guy looked very pleasant and a rock in society he even worked in a school in Leeds. And all along he was mixed up in and planning these murders. A little off the Alexander track but I like and listen to the Iranian guy and have an open mind.

Kenny
susan
Somatophylax

I can't believe that I'm replying to this post,

Post by susan »

I can't believe that I'm replying to this post, but I am....

James, my son, is devout Muslim through my interest in Alexander.... My husband was injured in the 7/7 bombings in London and we hold absolutely no grudge against Muslims... We will have dearly-loved Muslim grandchildren, and that is the way the way the world is going, George Bush & Tony Blair or not...

You've all known me , on this forum, for many years, and I say - forget the anti-Muslim stuff, it diminishes you...

Susan
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: I can't believe that I'm replying to this post,

Post by Paralus »

susan wrote:You've all known me , on this forum, for many years, and I say - forget the anti-Muslim stuff, it diminishes you...
Simple, entirely true and correct. Now, if only we could some of the amoebas who have risen from our sewage settling ponds into public life -- to the highest levels -- to utter something as clear.

I shall not hold my breath....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
jan
Strategos (general)

Into the Land of Bones by Frank HOlt

Post by jan »

HI Kenny, and Susan, too,

I am near the end of a book about Afghanistan by Frank HOlt, professor at University of Houston. This is a really great book, which I know you would love, both of you, since you are both interested in Alexander. Sikander reminded me of it, and so I checked it out. This book discusses many different ages in Afghanistan's history in which outsiders have attempted to quell the tribes who live there. Whether America will be more successful than Russia or Britain is yet to be determilned, but the book does take us back to the age of Alexander in which he and his troops struggled through the rugged mountains for a first time. Remember that Alexander was at the disadvantage in this foraging that region as his adversaries knew the countryside well.

Susan, I appreciate your concern about the attitude towards Muslims, but I don't think that either Kenny or I brought that up!

The Shah of Iran was forced out of his position right after I kept my promise to return to California, and I always associate my actiion with those of the Khomeini and the Shah.

Since learning of Alexander and Persepolis, I have a deep interest in Iran now, and especially Persepolis. I luckily just found a book which has an illustration of a fixed object there that conveys to me the knowledge that I wanted about the reliefs on the walls, and the proportion of height to them. I always thought that I could determine Alexander's height, and so fortunately for me, someone saw to it that this book published in Britain made its way into my hands. Thanks! I sincerely appreciate whoever it is who did that! :D
jan
Strategos (general)

Sorry about that!

Post by jan »

:oops: I just reread Kenny's post to be sure if I were correct or not about the subject of Muslims. Now I see that Kenny did mentioin the London bombings and apologize for saying that neither of us had brought it up. Please forgive!

But I must say this much now. I know that these terrorists look and act like ordinary people. That is the whole point of being ever vigilant! One cannot tell at first glance whether a person is a terrorist or not. I stopped a man here in the mall in this state one time to learn to my surprise that he is the most famous terrorist of them all. I did report this eventually but had great difficulty believing it too! So it goes. They walk amongst us, and we must be ever alert!
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Into the Land of Bones by Frank HOlt

Post by Paralus »

jan wrote:The Shah of Iran was forced out of his position
Not to mention having -- from an Iranian perspective -- been forced into and kept in his position until the "deposition".
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
kennyxx

Post by kennyxx »

Not Anti Muslim stuff at all. Its bloody reality. A spokesman recently said Not all Muslims are terrorists. But unfortunately Most terrorists are Muslims. Today was foiled a plot to blow up 9 Transatlantic flights.

Anti Blair Bush or whatever is no justification for this bollox. The excuses that they do it for the harm inflicted on Muslim brothers in Iraq or Afghanistan. Where Muslims blow fellow Muslims to bits at Bus stops in Baghdad.

Susan get your head out of the sands. The whole bloody world is at war all these terrorist will achieve and its happening is alienattion and back lashes from right wing and nationals who are getting more suspicious and angry. Call it anti Muslimism if you like but the reality is as plain as day.

Fence sitter pacifists and liberals beware will it be your brothers mothers sisters etc that get blown from the skies.

Kenny
jan
Strategos (general)

King's Cross and Madame Tussaud

Post by jan »

Kenny, I found a television dvd from Lonely Planet in which the viewer is taken to King's Cross and to the museum of Madame Tussaud. Very interesting film since one of the targeted places had been King's Cross. In this film, the tour gudes go to a church in King's Cross specially made for tourists. I suppose you probably know of this place, don't you? I found it interesting since it was probably filmed long before the terrorists hit that place.

Also there is on this same film pictures of the was impressions of Saddam Hussein, Arafat, and the main man from Libya, can't recall his name right now, but it was rather funny and amusing that they called Arafat Ringo Starr. This right after I met a boy on a bus here who is from Liverpool, so we discussed the Beatles.

I thought of you when I heard about the foiled plot and worried that maybe it was due to something that I had said here that this whole plot came off so well! I had hoped that is not the case! Made me think, oh dear, who is reading our posts?

Did Rudolph the most famous reindeer of all read this and pull a number on me? Whee! I will be careful never to mention this subject again.

But you should not chide Susan at all about the innocent Muslims who are being hurt because of the militant muslims. It is making all the news here as anything that happens in England is big news here as well. Whole networks sending all their reporters to London now. There is a real effort not to confuse the innocent Muslims with the guilty who probably think that they are doing right to create another spectacular event! I mean when movies are made out of 9/11 it becomes even bigger deal to have another even more spectacular splash. Some think it may even help sell movie tickets! Can you believe it? :roll: