is Alexander's greatness just past?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Franx

is Alexander's greatness just past?

Post by Franx »

Do you think that Alexander the Great is actual as historical figure, or now all his aspects are obsolete, old and all we can recive from studying him is just the knowledge of an historical process, or fashination, but nothing else?Thanks......ps, about me is still the Greatest!
susa

Re: is Alexander's greatness just past?

Post by susa »

Personnaly, i think it's the 'nothing else' option. Which is great by itself....cheers!susa
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Your not able to think, you can't help it, you were born that way!
susa

Post by susa »

Oh well.... I guess i'm not, really....:(:(Are you? I mean, are u able to think?:)
;)
John

Post by John »

Hehe. See, everyone knows females can't think. They only run on irrational (and usually hysterical) emotion!John
susa

Post by susa »

JohnI expected you'd defend my honour....But i tell you: women are irrationaly and hystericaly clever; whilst men are rationaly and quietly stupid. You know - behind a great man there's always a clever woman loosing the reins.Ha hasusa
John

Post by John »

I, as a man, refuse to believe that I am ruled over by female(s) like some puppet!Although I think maybe Olympias was SUCH a strong female force that other females found it hard to take Alexander's reins over from her control. And that's why it took him so long to start getting wives. - This is my theory to answer the gay? thing. How do you like it?John
John

Post by John »

Really, it seems that only Barsine, Memnon's widow, was skilled enough to break through Olympias' control of Alexander (at least in the beginning). Maybe this Barsine was a great woman, since she was behind two great men: Memnon and Alexander. But probably most women had little control over Alexander.Don't you think he should have broken all his chains and gotten a harem of 100 or so wives, like the other Persian kings? Then maybe he would have had a better chance to pass on his genes to future generations....Then, again, maybe he was too busy conquering the world.John
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Oh yes and he did! He had that harem but he never used it! It was one of the points against him raised by his oponents. And additionaly he had no 100 wifes there but 362 (I belive) Persian kings had one woman for each day - I only don't know why 3 was missing.
Maciek
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

err, John, I think the "My mother made me a homosexual. (If yI gave her the wool, would she make me one as well?)" psychological theory for sexuality is a bit shakey nowadays. It is all in the fingers, now. :) However, strong mother, absent father...Did you know that more gay men are born after a war?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Linda,"More gay men are born after a war" - is that statistically proven? I'm not doubting it, Linda, it's just that I've never heard it before and it sounds very interesting.Still, we have to be careful - any mention of "g**" and we'll get inundated with the old debate... :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
susa

Post by susa »

Hi MarcusWhat debate? The 'Was Alexander gay?' one? I like this one.susa
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Susa,That's the one.:-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
susa

Post by susa »

JohnHe wasn't interested in passing on his genes.susa
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

Hi MarcusThere was a study published in 1980 (D+¦rner et al., (1980)- reference on this page:http://psych.unn.ac.uk/users/nick/hormo ... 4.htmusing data gathered in Germany after WW2.The finger theory is at:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/695142.stmI have tested that one...