is Alexander's greatness just past?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

William

Re: is Alexander's greatness just past?

Post by William »

The kingdom was known as "Kafirstan" . Kafir is an arabic word meaning "non-believer" . That region [ near the Kyber pass I believe ] was so named due to the tribal inhabitants reluctance to embrace Islam . It was an actual place .
clementina

Post by clementina »

dear andrew
i shd be obliged if u do not make obnoxious remarks, sp'lly to people who really know a lot about alex, in this forum
tnk u
susa

Post by susa »

YESSSSSSS!!
chris

Re: is Alexander's greatness just past? Definetely no...

Post by chris »

In Hellas (Not Greece.Greece which comes from 'graikos' was the nickname that Turks were used to call us during Turkocracy and in a way means 'slave') we say: 'i Imimatheia einai xeiroteri apo tin Amatheia', which means that when you know something a little bit is worst than don't know anything about it...Each family in ancient Hellas which had sons wanted them to find an 'Erastis' which in modern Hellenic is translated in English as lover, but the word 'Erastis' comes from the ancient Hellenic word 'Romi'(the name of the city Rome, Romans weren't Hellenes, but they definetely wanted to be) which means courage, will and power. The role of 'Erastis' was to be a great example to the young boy which was called 'Eromenos' (words finishing to -menos are the Hellenic participles), but in order this relationship to remain clean and strong the two men shouldn't have aphrodisian relationship.Kritton the Tyran which tried to have sexual relationship with his Eromenos was revealed by Socrates and from that time Kritton became Socrates' worst enemy and he was the main responsible for his "suicide"
So you can see that our descent weren't all homosexuals. A book that separates also the difference between love from sexual desire among men is Plato's 'Symposio' where you can read that the forms of the God Erotas = Love (but not Agapi, which is the Hellenic word for the superior form of love and has its root to the word Agathos which describes a person full of kindness,virges,spiritually powerful etc) were two. One Erotas was the son of Aphodite and Mars (God of War),that and the other was son of Aphrodite and Ephestus (God of Metallurgy). The first son was the result of sexual desire, but the other on was the result of pure love and internal attraction. The philosophers of that time were in love to each other, but in the second meaning of the word Love and they were only attracted by the other's personality and wisesdom and definetely in none ancinet hellinic book a SEXUAL SCENE is described.Thank you and I apologise for my big post and my bad english.Respect
Christos