re Where is the tomb of Alexander the Great

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

smoof

re Where is the tomb of Alexander the Great

Post by smoof »

hi
I was wondering where the tomb of Alexander the Great is?
Surely his men would have taken his body to rest in Greece ?The siwa idea doesn't fit
Although the Vatican suggestion made me laugh
nick
Somatophylax

Re: re Where is the tomb of Alexander the Great

Post by nick »

Hello -There is enough to find about his burial on this site. A few things are undisputed:- Alexander's body was planned to be brought back to Macedon, but was hi-jacked by Ptolemy and never arrived back in Europe.- Alexander's mummified body was brought to Egypt. It had been on public display in Alexandria for ages, only to disappear mysteriously during the darker days of Late Antiquity.Regards -
Nick
Kate

Post by Kate »

Hi,
I was watching a video recently of a series made back in 1991 by Michael Woods called "Legacy" and in the episode devoted to Egyptian civilisation Woods visits the tomb of the Prophet Daniel and talks about a Victorian diplomat who accidentally got lost in the tunnels under the tomb and then claimed that he had seen a glass coffin with a man's body in it and the man wore a gold diadem. This story, presumably, is one of the sources for the rumours citing Daniel's tomb as the burial site for Alexander. Cheers, Kate
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Like Pheasant under glass, HUH? :-) I hope that he has bettern than that, but I understand why someone might conclude that myths have a basis in reality. If so, why hasn't a DNA sample been taken?
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Hi, I posted an answer to this but accidently clicked on "new Message" so you'll see it on the list.
andrewt1978

Post by andrewt1978 »

Sounds tome like a case for forensic scientists to resolve.