Angelina Jolie cast as Olympias in Stone's film...

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Angelina Jolie cast as Olympias in Stone's film...

Post by jorgios »

Well i am not sure how great of an Olympias Jolie will play, but i do think she may be the most beautiful woman to ever walk the face of the planet. LOL.Anyways, heres the article!July 22, 2003
Jolie Signs for AlexanderThe battle between the rival Alexander projects is heating up, thanks to the news that Angelina Jolie has decided to join the Oliver Stone version, according to Variety.
Both Stone and director Baz Luhrmann are working on projects about the Macedonian king, with Stone picking Colin Farrell to star as the title character, Anthony Hopkins for the role of Ptolemy, and now Jolie for the part of Olympias, Alexander's mother. Luhrmann's version, which has been pushed back until 2005, stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Nicole Kidman as Alexander and Olympias. Jolie is heading to Morocco and London this fall to film her scenes, even though the part of her husband, Phillip, hasn't been cast yet. The actress is about to hit theaters this weekend with Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, a sequel to her critically panned and financially successful first action flick based on the video game.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Angelina Jolie cast as Olympias in Stone's film...

Post by marcus »

Well, it's definitely another reason why I will go to see the film, however good or bad it is! :-)I just hope they can find a role for Salma Hayek, too... then my life will be complete...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Shecould play Roxanne:) with sufficient make-up...:)))
Thalestris

Re: Salma Hayek as Amazon Queen

Post by Thalestris »

I prefer Salma as the Amazon Queen .No, Catherine-Zeta Jones is the most beautiful woman on planet Earth, then follows Kate Winslet.Cheers,Thalestris
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Well I prefere Tomb... ee.. Angelina Joli and I'm happy to hear that she will appeare in that movie.Maciek M
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

This is in great danger of getting completely off-topic (ie. not really to do with Alexander). However... Salma Hayek as the Amazon Queen maybe - depending on how large a part it was (of course, she must have as much screen time as possible to keep me interested). I only wish that the film had been made 30-odd years ago, because my choice for Roxane in the early 70s would definitely have been Shakira Caine, who played Roxane in "The Man Who Would Be King" (and ended up marrying Michael Caine).I don't agree with you about Catherine Zeta Jones, I'm afraid. Sometimes I think she looks stunning, but not all the time. She's a shadow beside Ms Hayek, though, in my ever-so-humble opinion!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
luc

Post by luc »

That just knocked me right off my ass...Angelina Jolie as Olympias??? how odd...she's so young. Not that makeup won't do wonders, but she's so young..well 28. She's a beauty, and she's a great actress, though never in my life did I imagine that hapenning. The Colin Farrell film is looking a better and better in comparison to Baz's, considering that Anthony Hopkins himself is a good actor (though I thought of him as Aristotle, not Ptolemy) and Colin himself is not a bad actor either. I'm worried about the script here, something tells me the lines will be cheezy, I just have a bad feeling about the script. Oh whatever..I'm looking more forward to the Return of the King, then I am this movie, and Alexander is my fave person in history, which makes me upset that both movies are bound to suck.As for what's her name Katherine Zeta Jones...I've always imagined her as Stateira, I don't know why.
hmmm....can we make a movie?
Me

Post by Me »

It would be amazing if the producers and writers and directors had vision- they are bound up in Hollywood and the belief that people only want to see American or UK "Big Names"- I would have preferred if either one had had the vision to seek out unknowns to play some of the key roles. It worked with Lawrence of Arabia. Some of the actors in the movie Lagaan, male and female, would have been perfect in an ATG movie! There are great actors and actresses in Canada, India, Italy, etc.... too bad the movies were not truly expanded into ATG's world... instead, we are once again stuck seeing the same faces we have seen in every movie to come out of Hollywood recently-
likje eating the same meal day after day, after a while, one begins to crave a new flavor
anna

Post by anna »

To make the long speech shorter - so that the forum won't kick me off. (believe me, this posting here IS exausting). I'm in the minority on the subject - i don't think Jolie is beautiful and i don't think she is a good actress. I don't think it's a good choice, but on the other hand - she might not have that much screen time, and that'll be enough. As for the age, i actually don't believe this to be a problem. Most probably she'll appear in the childhood period when Olympias was indeed young.But what about even more surprising choice for Roxanne - Rosario Dawson? Don't get me wrong, she is beautiful, but ain't she... eh-eh... NOT QUITE the type?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Anna,Until a few moments ago I didn't know who Rosario Dawson was... but having just done a search, I agree.I know we are in great danger of offending someone, somewhere, but if Roxane was a Persian/Bactrian, then I do feel that she ought to be played by someone who looks somewhat Persian/Bactrian.Anyway, I'm not going to make any more comments on this.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK