Alexanders Body

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

mikegbr

Alexanders Body

Post by mikegbr »

Hi everyone, As you can see I am new here so be gentle :)I am a long time follower of all things Alexander since hearing a song by Iron Maiden in the mid 80's.My question is would you like Alexander's body to by found?
On a purely selfish note I would love to see it, but it worries me what modern science may subject his body to.
Any thoughts anyone.Michael.
Me

Re: Alexanders Body

Post by Me »

May it never be found. May it be too far from human eye and hand to be seen or touched.
Too many want it; too few are worthy and none would do it justice. Those who want it most are not people of honor or good motive. He would end, as once said of another time and place, "a sideshow of a sideshow".
S

Post by S »

Greetings,
I think it would be best if it were never found, for many reasons, all of which we have discussed on previous postings. A few included:
1) Mythology has it, still, that those who possess the body will have power, and too many nations have already "claimed" to have rights to the body- it would get nasty. We could easily end up with chaos.
2) Objections to the body ending up in a museum to be poked, prodded and gawked at or put on display. Alexander meant to go to the fire and his wishes should have been granted
3)The attempt to "clone" would lead to indignity and worse. Men of power would seek this for their own gain- and they would not be men of honour
4)etc
I realize that others would like the body to be found, so questions could be answered- but perhaps part of Alexander's long-lasting fame is that the questions have *not* been answered- the Mystery remains, and "eternal fame" is granted.
Regards,
Sikander
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Michael,Check out best books which is located to your right. Could that be the body of Alexander?
jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by jorgios »

The field of archeology would love to find Alex's body. I would like to say that i am against it, but i think i can speak for all of us when i say that i would be pretty darn curious to see his tomb at least! The body is of little importance( though it may help us find out about his physical looks!) What would be really fascinating is too see his tomb, assuming that it has not been looted.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

So you think that there may be big money in Alexander's bones? Probably would be.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hello S,I shudder at the thought of a cloning of Alexander. Scarey thought!
Jan
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Personally, I would like the body found for two reasons:(1) to find out what he really did look like; and
(2) to establish what he died ofBoth of which should be possible, even after over 2000 years.On the other hand, Sikander is quite right about the potential problems the discovery would cause; so I'm still a little in two minds about it.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Tre

Post by Tre »

Definitely not. It would be the King's wish. Note how disturbed he was when Cyrus' Tomb was plundered. Alexander has left enough of a legacy that his bones needn't be put on display to satiate our curiosity about trivial matters. Wasn't being denied a proper pyre and burial and being put on display in Alexandria for hundreds of years, only to have it plundered over and over again, enough? Let him keep the secrets of what is left of his mortal being wherever his bones are held. He lived a life on public display while he breathed, and for far too long after...
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I was thinking at how one can clone one's soul, so what good would it do to clone only a physical body without the certainty of the spirit of Alexander being a part of it?