Amphipolis II

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Amphipolis II

Post by system1988 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZVNft ... annel=DIKT

This is a relatively recent interview, given by the excavator of the Kasta tomb Mrs Peristeri .It is a response to the minister of the current governement who denies the first identity of the monument (Hephaestion s grave ) The interview starts from the 1 minute of the video .Many lectures have been given on the excavation and the burial monument-the largest found so far in Hellas , but until now the complete publication of the monument has not been done.One explanation is that the monument is large and complex, but also that even a few years after the excavation ,the work somehow continued and new findings were brought to light.
The unshakable belief of the excavator , is that the monument was originaly the tomb of Alexander s general Hephaestion (and his family ? the question is mine ) As she says : ''we have found 2 inscriptions on the outside of the monument with the name of Hephaestion ,but also on the interior of the tomb we have found his monogram '' Regarding the 5 skeletons found she says : '' During the loosening of the soil by those who filled the grave to protect it ( 2century bC) bones fell from the graves ( there were 2 cemeteries of preistoric and arcaic era ) that were on the top of the hill -into the monument .The skeleton found in the grave below the floor was the one it is related to the constuction .It belongs to a man of about 34 years , height about 1.60 . The head is missing There were ashes on his feet.They are the ashes of the body of Hephaestion ,which was burned on the funeral pyre in Babylon .His ashes were placed in an urn ,and by order of Alexander they were brought in Amphipolis to be buried in a lavish monument .The monument also had the great marble lion on top of it ,proof that a very important man with a very high status was buried there .Pieces of the lion i found inside the tomb, during the excavation '''
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Amphipolis II

Post by Alexias »

Thanks for this.

So, Hephaestion was only 5' 3"? Alexander was visibly shorter than Hephaestion, so at just over 5 foot, would he really have had the physical strength for all the forced marches and arduous campaigns for so many years? Just a thought.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Thank you for your post
The grave under the floor of the 4th chamber was divided in 2 parts :one for a man about 34/35 years old (with the skull missing) and in a smaller arranged space possibly at the feet of the the man there were ashes.These ashes according to Mrs Peristeri were of Hephaestion -the grave diggers must have stolen the precious urn ,and some ashes were scattered .We dont know who the skeleton belongs to, maybe a relative of Hephaestion .
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

In the post 'Amphipolis III '' i sent today , the inscriptions are clearly visible
Sweetmemory41
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Sweetmemory41 »

Thank you, System1988! I find Katerina Peristeri’s unshakable belief/assertion that it is Hephaestion’s burial place somewhat convincing. Even if it is not, the other candidates for it — Olympias, Roxana, and Alexander IV — are all believable enough.

Given below is the link to Peristeri’s March 2017 lecture to The Macedonian Society of Great Britain titled ‘The Tumulus Kastas and the Lion of Amphipolis.’
https://youtu.be/E7W_oFzmZ9c
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Thank you for the link .Some of the photos i hadn t seen before :D