Roman Copy of Alexander Head for sale.. anyone have a few th

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Roman Copy of Alexander Head for sale.. anyone have a few th

Post by jorgios »

http://www.bidancient.com/neo/neo.exe?item=966it is my understanding that auctions for items like this are quite rare!
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Roman Copy of Alexander Head for sale.. anyone have a fe

Post by beausefaless »

Better do a good job of research the certificate of authenticity could be a forgery. Looks like he's been drinking wine and taking a lot of speed !
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

The sculptor certainly was! :-)
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
stavros

Post by stavros »

if that is real, then that is a disgraceful attempt. romans could do better than that???
Thalestris

Re: Roman Copy of Alexander

Post by Thalestris »

Hmmm, I have never seen that sculpure before, and would I am confident to believe it is either NOT Alexander, or it IS and it is not authentic. After flipping through the pages of the book "Alexander the Great in Art", and the ATG exhibition book "In Search of Alexander", that sculpture on auction does not appear anywhere. Be careful Jorgios.~~Amazon Queen
jorgios

well...

Post by jorgios »

I of course was not planning on buying the sculpture.I assumed that the sculpture was one of the many works of art that are only dubiously called "Alexander", in that it was probably modelled on Alexander's likeness, either directly or not. I would not be altogether suprised if it was a fake however. I have also never seen this sculpture in a book, and would never consider buying something of such value over the internet.In any case i do have 2,500 dollars to gain this statue, whether it is a fraud or not!
jorgios

Re: well...

Post by jorgios »

in my last post i said " i do have 2500 dollars to buy this statue"that was a mistake, i most certainly DO NOT have the money to buy this! ha.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

And there was me just about to send you a begging letter! :-)I would be extremely surprised if it were a fake. If it says it is Roman, it is very likely to be Roman. Whether it is *actually* Alexander, or just purports to be, is a different matter altogether.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
gahauser

Post by gahauser »

It's horrible looking. Not very flattering to one who was supposed to be handsome. I purchased a replica years ago. It was from World Treasures, in CA. I don't even know if they are around any longer. It was based on the one in Glyptothek, Munich. (At least that's what it says on the paperwork!) And it's striking. More what I imagine he looked like. (And only about $100! What a deal!)
Cheers!
GA
http://www.authorga.com
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Roman Copy of Alexander

Post by Nicator »

...there were thousands of Roman copies made of Hellenistic originals. Mostly, because there was such a huge demand and limited supply. But, I have to admit, that thing is UGLY!!! Definitely not worth $2500? It's for sale, because it's not fit to display. I wouldn't give $100 for it.later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander