Ulysses or Odyseous?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Ulysses or Odyseous?

Post by Nicator »

I know this is not a pure question concerning ATG, but was wondering if anybody has some knowledge concerning this. Not sure how to spell either one, but why does he have to differnt names?
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
jorgios
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Ulysses or Odyseous?

Post by jorgios »

Hi Nicator!
Ulysses=Latin/Roman version of the name.Odysseos= Original Greek name.
:)
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

It actually is "Odysseas".
Odysseos is in the genitive form.
:-)
THE LIGHT 7000

Post by THE LIGHT 7000 »

... TWO NAMES TWO STORIES OR IT WAS ONLY ONE...
ONCE MACEDONIAN= ODISY= GO / ODISEY = GO & PLANT (SEEDS)...
THE LIGHT
jorgios

oh my...

Post by jorgios »

that is the most insane thing i have ever heard!you must be a FYROMIAN "scholar" i take it.Fyromian science...always good for a laugh.
THE LIGHT 7000

Re: oh my...

Post by THE LIGHT 7000 »

HA HA HA HA ....YES YORGAKIS OR YORGOPOPULOSUS...,FYROM !?,- FROM BIBLE WHEN APOSTLE PAUL WENT TO FYROM, OOOOPS...WAS IT MAKEDONIA... WELL ACCORDING TO GREEEEK...SSSS IT WAS ?(!???), THEY DO NOT KNOW THEMSELF BECOUSE ST. PAUL WAS EXPELLED BY THOSE PEOPLE FROM STH. OF MT. OLYMP, - ATHEN ...AND BEATEN &...!!!!!!!!!!!... LOOK WHO ARE TALKING NOW ...,"THEY" ARE TELLING THE WORLD THE MOST HEARTBREAKING STORRY'S... ABOUT ANCIENT MAKEDONIA OOOPSSS- FYROM, SORRY- GREECE OR WAS IT HELLAS..., SORRY CHRISTIANITY AND NAMES..., WHEN BY FORCE FROM JUSTINIJAN FROM MAKEDONIA-(JUSTINIJAN WAS BORN NEAR SKOPJE/TAOR- TAURISIMUS,- CAPITAL OF TODAY R. OF MACEDONIA, VARDAR PART OF MAKEDONIA, FOUNDER OF JUSTINIJANA PRIMA & SECUNDA, WHEN CRISTIANITY WAS OFFICIAL STATE RELIGION- FROM IRLAND TO CHINA,/ CHECK "JESUS SUTRAS" BOOK BY A. MARTIN, /ICOREC, !), BYZANT THEY BECOME CHRITIANS (CHECK ALL YOUR ENCICLOPEDIAS- NEW & OLD...),GREEKS BECOME CHRISTIANS- 6 C.A.D., AND NATION STATE AT 1827, THANKS TO EUROPEIAN POWERS, AND THANKS TO THEM AND ALL THAT MONEY THEY HAD MADE FALSIFICATS TO EVERYTHING THAT IS MACEDONIAN OR ALBANIAN, OT TURKISH, OR LEBANESE, ...PERSIAN...! THANKS GOD THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO MAKE ENGLISH & AMERICANS - GREEKS, BUT THEY ARE TRYING VERY HARD TO MAKE THEM GREEK BIGGEST COLLONY SINCE 1827....!!!!!... SO MY FRIEND, WHY ARE YOU SO ARROGANT AND SO ELECTRIFYED IF SOMEONE IS PRESENTING HIS OWN OPPINION AS A GIFT FROM FREEDOM OF SPEECH ACT! YES I KNOW, YOU WANT TO SHOW THE WORLD FAMOUS "GREEK" DEMOCRATIC WAY OF EXPRESSING ...,WHAT!? WELL, IF YOU SO DEMOCRATIC YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT MAKEDONIANS AND MOST OF THE WORLD KNOW'S/ BELIEF'S- EVERYTHING WHAT IS PROCLAIMED TO BE GREEK OR ROMAN IS BASED AND FOUNDED ON FOUNDAMETS OF ANCIENT MAKEDONIAN EMPIRE LONG LONG TIME BEFORE SO CALLED GREEKS COMME TO MAKEDONIA! ODISEY AND ILIYAD ARE WRITTEN BY HOMMER IN ANCIENT MACEDONIAN LANGUAGE AND MORE THAN 60% OF WORDS ARE SIMULAR TO TODAY MACEDONIAN! HOMER WAS WRITTING ABOUT ILIAD SO IT SHOULD BE ILIYAD NOT TROYAD-A, CITY ILION, FROM ANCIENT MACEDONIAN CULT TO SUN=IOS/ILIOS=ILION (LATER ST.ILIA/ILYA/ELIAH), WHICH IS STILL TODAY MACEDONIAN NATIONAL DAY- ILIN DEN i.e.ILION=ILIN+DEN= ILIN/ILIION DAY! ...SO MACEDONIANS WERE THE BUOILDERS OF ILIONS, ILIYADS/=BABILIONS-VASILIONS (LIKE ALEXANDIA'S),(VAS=YOU+ILION/IOS=GOD...), LONG LONG BEFORE YOU THINK THAT THE WORLD BEGAN WITH ANCIENT ATHENS! EVEN ATHENS AS A TRIBAL CITY STATE WAS FOUNDED 8 Y. LATER THAN MACEDONIAN KINGDOM/STATE. ROME WAS CI
THE LIGHT 7000

Re: jorgios-II-CONT.oh my...

Post by THE LIGHT 7000 »

JORGIOSGǪCONT..
GǪ..! ODISEY AND ILIYAD ARE WRITTEN BY HOMMER IN ANCIENT MACEDONIAN LANGUAGE AND MORE THAN 60% OF WORDS ARE SIMULAR TO TODAY MACEDONIAN! HOMER WAS WRITTING ABOUT ILIAD SO IT SHOULD BE ILIYAD NOT TROYAD-A, CITY ILION, FROM ANCIENT MACEDONIAN CULT TO SUN=IOS/ILIOS=ILION (LATER ST.ILIA/ILYA/ELIAH), WHICH IS STILL TODAY MACEDONIAN NATIONAL DAY- ILIN DEN i.e.ILION=ILIN+DEN= ILIN/ILIION DAY! ...SO MACEDONIANS WERE THE BUOILDERS OF ILIONS, ILIYADS/=BABILIONS-VASILIONS (LIKE ALEXANDIA'S),(VAS=YOU+ILION/IOS=GOD...), LONG LONG BEFORE YOU THINK THAT THE WORLD BEGAN WITH ANCIENT ATHENS! EVEN ATHENS AS A TRIBAL CITY STATE WAS FOUNDED 8 Y. LATER THAN MACEDONIAN KINGDOM/STATE. ROME WAS CITY STATE REPUBLIC WITH MILITARY STYLE...BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE IS WORD- IOS=ZIOS=DIOS, IOS-YOS=YAS, AND MEANS -I/I AM,; YES BIFTH OF COUNSCIOSNESS AND PRESENCE OF TRUE LIVING GOD! THAT IS WHY DION MEANS DI+ON=TI+ON i.e.YOU AND HIM, THE GOD ! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MANKIND HYSTORY, AND THAT IS WHY ALEXANDER WAS CULMINATION OF HIS DREAM & GOD'S WILL= UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD OF MAN! ....... THAT IS WHY YOU HAVE TO REALIZE THAT RESPECT TO EVERY AND ALL IS WHAT WE NEED, OTHERWISE YOU WILL PLAY MARRY GO 'ROUND ALL YOUR LIFE WITHOUT ANY MOVEMENT TOWARDS BETTER FUTURE...YES, ODISEY WAS FROM MAKEDONIA AND MEANS MAN WHO WAS WONDERING,LIKE AHILE MEANS=AXILE=XSILA=FORCE='XILE'N=STRONG!!!!...
SIMPLE AS BEANS, WITHOUT MARRY GO ARROUND "WORDS"...
THE LIGHT
John.

Post by John. »

That's an interesting question. Homer's "Odyssey" was named after the hero Odysseus, but why did the Romans rename Odysseus to Ulysses? Maybe they wanted to make him their own?Ready for my tangent?..."2001: A Space Odyssey" got it's name from Homer's "Odyssey," and David Bowie's "Space Oddity" got it's name from "2001: A Space Odyssey."But did David Bowie get his name from David Bowman, the hero of "2001: A Space Odyssey"? His name used to be David Jones, but since that name was already made famous by the guy in the Monkees, he changed his name to David Bowie, at about the time "2001: A space Odyssey" came out, I think.I think most of the people on this forum would prefer David Bowie to David Boman, since he's sooo gay. Or is it Ziggy Stardust?John
jorgios

Vasko

Post by jorgios »

You and about 25 other FYROMIAN scientists believe Homer wrote in a "Macedonian Language". No one outside of Fyrom believes this.Thank God for that.Yes St. Paul went to the Roman Province of Macedonia, remember the part where he says "The upper class Greeks of Macedonia were less willing to hear the message than the Jews of Macedonia".Personally, i am a Chiote, from the island of Chios, where Homer the poet is from, so i take it as a personal offense when you call him a "Macedonian" ,thanks "Dr. Vasko"!regards
THE LIGHT 7000

Re: Vasko

Post by THE LIGHT 7000 »

Dear Yorgios,
.. My appology, but we are discussing things in friendly & democratic way, so nobody tend to insoult or discredit other... If you feel that way my friend please forgive me,...... Now again,if you are from particular island/s, you should know that there were few grave stones found few years ago, and interestingly inscriptions were with ancient Macedonian language, letters, and more interesting was the text written in Macedonian with Macedonian names over it......Any way, I think you should read some other authors, more indipendent, to get more clear picture about things, not only Greek or those paid by Greeks. This is fact my friend...Arguments are interesting if are supported by facts and not anly tell/tell's, and therefore one is educator but also is learning, and we are learning all life, spetially now with new scientific technology, so one must be more flexible...Macedonians had never got any chance to speak for them selfs becouse they were for centuries, after byzant under occupation, so we are learning from Greeks, Serbian, Bulgarian, Turks, but also from USA, UK, Europian scolars, and just from recently Macedonians are more indipendet in their search for truth and their cultural identity, unfortunatelly. Becouse Makedonians were so long under occupation, we know how is to be such so knowing that we do not want others to be in our possition, no way, and that is why we are full of respect to others, with hope that we will make others to be same, more human...So again, my appology, but in no way it was personal, we are discussing things with facts, litle bit jokes and making friendships, learning from and about each other, that's life my friend, and that way life is beautifull, isn't it...All the bestThe Light 7000
jorgios

"Macedonian Language"

Post by jorgios »

Nothing of a "Macedonian Language" exists except for a handful of words and a number of names that appear to be Greek( not saying ancient macedonians were Greek, but that the names that survive of them are all distinctly Greek.)What you are saying about Homer is a fabrication, i have read the bizarre article on it, and i am ready to comment.a.) No one knows if Homer really existed, and in any event Homer never wrote ANYTHING, let alone in a "Macedonian Lanaguage" because supposedly Homer lived in the Dark Ages, after the Dorian invasion when writing had been lost. The poems Illiad and Odessey are attributed him via the Greeks of the Classical Age. Early remnants of the story of the Illiad and the Odessey are written in Linear B, a primitive form of non-phonetic Greek. The poems as we know them have survived only in Classical Greek.. that is Attic Greek, the dialect of Athens and the Ionian Islands( Chios, etc).b) a "Macedonian Alphabet" is an out and out fabrication, if by Macedonian Alphabet you mean the current Alphabet of the east and south Slavs, i.e. Cyrillic/Glagothic. This alphabet was founded in the 9th century A.D. by Clement of Ochrid and named after his teacher; the Thessalonikian monk St. Cyril. The Cyrillic alphabet of the modern slavic speaking Macedonians is a clear mixture of Greek, with Hebrew and Latin segments to account for sounds that are present in the Slavic tongues that are not present in Greek.I think i do read independent sources. i think i shy away from "nationalistic " sources, but you must understand that not everything you read is true, even if you desperatley want it to be so. It is YOU who has to convince the world that Homer was a "Macedonian", because as it stands now the world knows he was a Greek.Regards,
THE LIGHT 7000

Re: jorgioss-HOMER OR NOT HOEMR

Post by THE LIGHT 7000 »

...Yorgo, Yorgiokakis...,Yasu, kalimera, tikanis...,First you are telling me your name..., than you are crying of "personal insult ?"..., than you are proud of being from Homer region, ... and now you are saying there was no HOMER at all... So again: is it paranoi-dellusional behavior, drugs, meataxas or it was metaxa...! You do not what you are talking my friend and you are very hysterical, so better call down, settle your self, take deep breath and cont. with reasonable dialogue and respect towards one's past...Capish...! You are lost in time and space and you are discgrace for all descent Greeks / Hellens and their cultural herritage!... So Hasata la Vista Amigo....
The Light
marcus
Somatophylax

Re:

Post by marcus »

Jorge,The easiest thing to do is to ignore it all and don't post any more replies. Let's concentrate on discussing Alexander...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
susa

Post by susa »

Hi JohnI am an expert in David Bowie, so i think i can tell you that he got this "Bowie" on his name from the knife that hurted his right eye [that's why he lost the green colour of his eye, and now it's clear blue, btw]. Well, that's the rumour among fans anyway....isa
John.

Post by John. »

I still think he changed his name because the Monkees' David Jones already made his famous. Did he change it to Bowie because of a knife? OK. As for the color, I'm pretty sure it's black, and the cause is a permanantly distended pupil.Let David Bowie thank his lucky stars he's not the Cyclops, who only had one eye to begin with, and that was put out by Odysseus!Or HAL, with that one unfeeling red eye. And we all know what David Bowman did to HAL...John