Your most rare & precious Alexander book?

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

nick
Somatophylax

Your most rare & precious Alexander book?

Post by nick »

Hi Companions -I was reading the discussion between John and Marcus about "Cities of Alexander". The fact that John placed the book on his "Alexander shelf", just to have it there, sounded very familiar to me.So the question is: what is your most precious, irreplaceble, unique book on Alexander? Something that you possess - but you're sure very few other people do?My shortlist (standing on my Alexander shelf):- Alexander the Great in the Middle Ages [a strange 70s scholarly study of Medieval romances]- The Periplus of the Erythrean Sea [written in 100 AD but mentioning many cities in India attributed to Alexander - it claims Bucephala is still there and thriving]- Cook's The Persian Empire [out of print, my copy is in a bad state, but I am so happy I've had the chance to buy that used copy]- Robin Lane Fox's In Search of Alexander [the book that accompanied the 80s tv series; easily matches Michael Wood's effort; out of print, rare]Best regards -
Nick
John.

Re: Your most rare & precious Alexander book?

Post by John. »

I would say my most rare and precious Alexander book is "Arrian's Anabasis of Alexander," by E. J. Chinnock, published in 1884. Not because it was so expensive, but because Arrian is the most valuable surviving historian of Alexander, and I think Chinnock's is the best English translation, and also because I haven't seen Chinnock's translation of Arrian anywhere else, except for a few fragments on the web.Also, from Chinnock's preface [written in 1883] there's this:"When I began this Translation, more than two years ago, I had no intention of publishing it; but as the work progressed, it occurred to me that Arrian is an Author deserving of more attention from the English-speaking races than he has yet received. No edition of his works has, so far as I am aware, ever appeared in England..."So people couldn't read Arrian in English before Chinnock published this book in 1884? Amazing!John
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

That IS a very rare and precious item.Regards -
Nick
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Hi!
Nice question. For me also Arrian's anabasis is unique even if my edition is no so special. But it is very importand for me that my anabasis book has greek and english language pages. I hope I will learn greek and someday I will read oryginal text of Arrian.
Also I'm trying to buy all Alexander's books written in latin with no translation and read them as soon as I will know latin enough. Well I learn it just from few months so it is not enough right now. But it is very speciall to read source in it's oryginal form.Maciek
John.

Post by John. »

Maciek,Welcome back.I have two versions of Arrian with Greek/English pages. One was translated by Robson in 1933; the other by Brunt in 1983. Brunt calls the Robson translation "notoriously marred by frequent inaccuracies." But because of time constraints, Brunt chose to "revise it rather than replace it." Therefore, I'm still going with Chinnock as the best English translation.Of course you're right; the best thing to do is read it in the original Greek.John
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Hi John!!Well I have Brunt's version and from Your post I assume it's better then Robsosn's or maybe Brunt just wasn't right? Well anyway I'll stay with this translation because as I've said I'd like to read in original. Regards
Maciek