Did Ptolemy build Alexandria?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Did Ptolemy build Alexandria?

Post by amyntoros »

I have an old book that I found at a tag sale recently - Volume 5 of a series called A History of All Nations. There are over 16 contributors, PhD's, University professors and the like. It was published in 1915 by the Grolier Society in London, and this book squeezes the entire history of the Near East into around 550 pages. Obviously, it isn't that detailed, although there are plenty of interesting illustrations. What caught my attention was a little piece on the building of Alexandria. It says "we have" a granite stele called the "Satrap stele" which is dated around 317 B.C. and the inscription upon it makes it clear that, in the opinion of contemporaries, Alexandria was found by Ptolemy Soter seven years after the death of Alexander. It also says "Such a piece of evidence, in itself almost irrefutable, can be further supported by a closer examination of the campaigns of Alexander, and also weakens the theory that the other Alexandria, of Issus in Syria, was built upon the initiative of the conqueror whose name it bears". There's more - how Alexander had little time to spare for Egypt, and how the Delta was entrusted to Cleomenes of Naucratis to confer favors on the old Greek Colony. Then, "After Ptolemy reduced Naucratis to the position of a provincial Egyptian parish; then the fitting opportunity arrived for the foundation of the new capital, the situation of which was determined by his more accurate local knowledge".I have this vague recollection of hearing something similar a long time ago, but can't remember where. However, since 1915 there has been a plethora of in-depth research on Alexander by the best academics, and, obviously, no one is claiming that Alexandria was founded by anyone else but Alexander. So my question is this: Who refuted the "almost irrefutable evidence" and what did they say?Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Did Ptolemy build Alexandria?

Post by ruthaki »

After Alexander's death, Ptolemy went back to Alexandria as satrap to oversee the building of the city according to Alexander's plans. He was responsible for overseeing the buildings of several major structures there such as the library and I believe others were built later on by his descendants.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Yes, but they are implying that building didn't start on Alexandria until 317 B.C. Alexander laid out the plans in 331, so there was plenty of time to establish the city before he died. (I read somewhere that Deinokrates was the architect.) Im not supporting this book's claim, but if Alexandria *was* started so long after Alexander's death, it would certainly explain why Alexander's body was first taken to Memphis. I think the problem lies in the interpretation of the writings on the stele, as there were other mistakes made by early archeologists. The way the book is worded - saying "we have (the stele)" makes me think it might be in the British Museum, rather than still in Alexandria. Unfortunately, that's a bit far for me to travel for curiousity, as I live in New York. :-)Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Yes, I also read that Deinokratos was the architect of many of Alexandria's buildings. During Ptolemy's early reign I believe he prepared a temple building to house Alexander's body when it was brought from Memphis. I think the city was a compliation of a couple of small towns of the area so no doubt there was a lot of work involved in restructuring the city as Alexander had wished it to be built.
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

The online references to the Satrap Stele are rather vague as to its whereabouts - I know that it starts: "I Ptolemy, the satrap, restore to Horus, the avenger of his father, the territory of Patanut [Egypt], from this day forth for ever..." According to the site (http://www.touregypt.net/alexhis1.htm)"In addition to showing respect for the Egyptian religion and beliefs (something previous conquerors had failed to do), this inscription reminded the people exactly who it was who had liberated Egypt from the Persian Empire, thus ensuring much support for the new ruler and the dynasty that would follow him."
There's a good online portal about Ptolemaic Alexandria at
http://www.houseofptolemy.org/housealx.htmRegardsSusan