This is a public forum

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

This is a public forum

Post by marcus »

Having just worked myself up into a frenzy of self-justification on another thread, perhaps this is a good time to make a request.

Would people please read what they have written before posting it - there is a "preview" button. I'm sure I don't need to remind people that what they write only reflects on them; but it does also serve to rouse the passions of others. I have been involved in Pothos for a long time, and can think of only one or two occasions when members have vowed to leave and never return - funnily enough, both of those occasions were sparked by obnoxious comments posted by other people.

In the past I (and other moderators) have been lambasted for deleting posts when no posts were deleted. I am loathe to test what would happen if we actually *did* start censoring the forum. But for all that free speech is something to be valued, if one *really* values it one will use it wisely. If it is abused, then it will be taken away, and I for one am quite happy to start deleting posts that I consider have over-stepped the boundaries. I don't *want* to, but I will.

Now, can we all start acting like grown ups, please?

Best wishes
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
nina
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

PUBLIC FORUM

Post by nina »

MARCUS, YOU ARE FOREVER IN A CLASS OF YOR OWN. WHATEVER YOU DECIDE, I'M WITH. REGARDS.NINA
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

posting

Post by ruthaki »

Well said Marcus. It only takes a minute to review what one has written and to stop and think about it. Will this offend? Have I worded this in a way that it will be misunderstood?
etc. etc. Censorship is a very tricky business. I know that in my classes that I teach I have had to lay out some clear 'rules' though, because there are occasionally people who want to push the boundaries by presenting stuff in class that is just over-the-top and designed to provoke and insult others. The same goes for on-line forums.
Be careful what you say or your words might come back to haunt you.
satishbhawra43

Re: This is a public forum

Post by satishbhawra43 »

Would people please read what they have written before posting it - there is a "preview" button.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I have been absent for awhile and just posted a reply about Pella and the Macedonian tombs but it only went into my drafts. Are they reveiwed before posting? Or is there a way of getting it out of the drafts and posted as a reply on the subject?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

ruthaki wrote:I have been absent for awhile and just posted a reply about Pella and the Macedonian tombs but it only went into my drafts. Are they reveiwed before posting? Or is there a way of getting it out of the drafts and posted as a reply on the subject?
Hi Ruth,

I haven't come across that before! There's certainly no pre-publication review of posts, so nothing's changed since you were last visiting us more frequently (welcome back, by the way!).

Not sure why that might have happened. Would it be too arduous to write your post again and see what happens?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

OK I will do that, or cut and past from the draft part and repost. Thanks.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

ruthaki wrote:I have been absent for awhile and just posted a reply about Pella and the Macedonian tombs but it only went into my drafts. Are they reveiwed before posting? Or is there a way of getting it out of the drafts and posted as a reply on the subject?
Presumably you hit Save instead of Submit. I've just spent ages typing up a draft, hit Save, and lost the whole lot because I'd been timed out! In future I'll type up the post in Word and copy and paste, which at least will spell check for me as well.
Brent Smith

Post by Brent Smith »

Hello Marcus.

This discussion is rather hard to follow because although you say you have got yourself 'worked up' about a thread, you don't say why, or indeed what the thread was about.

At the risk of libel, can you please enlighten?

Inquisitively,

Brent.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Brent, this is not a 'thread' as such, ie not a discussion, rather the initial post was a plea for less inflammatory language in the main body of the forum; some people seem unfamiliar with the convention of respect for others views and I seem to remember a spate of quite inane insult swopping, though that may have been a dream....I'm drifting...anyway this section is more for the moderators to comment rather than topics of discussion.

Now i'll sit back and wait for Marcus to disagree the ****** ************* :x
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:Brent, this is not a 'thread' as such, ie not a discussion, rather the initial post was a plea for less inflammatory language in the main body of the forum; some people seem unfamiliar with the convention of respect for others views and I seem to remember a spate of quite inane insult swopping, though that may have been a dream....I'm drifting...anyway this section is more for the moderators to comment rather than topics of discussion.

Now i'll sit back and wait for Marcus to disagree the ****** ************* :x
Funnily enough, I saw there were new posts attached to this, and re-read my original sticky message. I can't for the life of me remember what all the spat was about! But it was a long time ago.

So I'm afraid I can't disagree with you here, you £*$&% "£$(£$%*£$&! :lol:
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Hello everyone!

I am just going to introduce myself. I am new here, I found out about this forum just a few days ago. I'm glad to see it is still active even though it's been about for a few years already. I was almost a bit worried there. :oops:

Anyway, I am 21 years old so please bear with me - I won't have as much knowledge on this subject as most of you and that's one of the reasons why I am here. I always find it fascinating to learn from people who have been interested in this for a long time.

I have posted something interesting and new regarding Alexander's tomb on another topic, but sadly it didn't show up yet since I'm still new.

I hope it will once I've made a few more posts here and there. :D

I'm looking forward to talk to all of you!

Cheers
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Enkidu wrote:Hello everyone!

I am just going to introduce myself. I am new here, I found out about this forum just a few days ago. I'm glad to see it is still active even though it's been about for a few years already. I was almost a bit worried there. :oops:

Anyway, I am 21 years old so please bear with me - I won't have as much knowledge on this subject as most of you and that's one of the reasons why I am here. I always find it fascinating to learn from people who have been interested in this for a long time.

I have posted something interesting and new regarding Alexander's tomb on another topic, but sadly it didn't show up yet since I'm still new.

I hope it will once I've made a few more posts here and there. :D

I'm looking forward to talk to all of you!

Cheers
Welcome, Enkidu. Please feel free to join in any discussions, or to start any of your own. The forum's a bit slow at the moment, because of the time of year, and various things like real life getting in people's way; but there are usually one or two good discussions going on.

All the best
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK