Biography

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

SHERKHANN

Biography

Post by SHERKHANN »

Hello, this is Sher from Buenos Aires - Argentina. This is my first time in this forum. I have always admired Alexander the Great and have a certain knowledge about his life and epic history. I still have to learn a lot of course. Now, I would like to know the following, which is the best and most complete biography about Alexander the Great?.
Thank you very much and you can contact me at the following email address:
sherkhann@eurosport.com
Nick Christakes

Re: Biography

Post by Nick Christakes »

Hello Sher,
Great that you could join us! It's difficult to say what is the most complete history of Alexander. During the decade of the 1970's there was on average 1 book written and published about Alexander every 1 1/2 years, and he has been the most written about figure in world history aside from Jesus Christ since his untimely death in 323 b.c. For most of the time that has passed since then Alexander was the most written about, and only in recent history has Jesus Christ surpassed him in popularity. A little off the subject here, but you can get some good books which cover him very well and will take you years to acquaint yourself with thouroughly. Here's a few of the more noteworthy authors which have been recommended, but by no means complete: 1. Bosworth
2. Greene
3. Hammond
4. FullerOf course, there are the primary source authers which are also a good place to go for information:1. Arrian
2. Curtius
3. Plutarch
4. Diodorus
4. Justin
6. StraboI haven't read them all, but from what I have read, it is obvious that they vary widely in their representation of Alexander. Hope this helps...
later Nicator
Susan

Post by Susan »

Have you read the books section on this site? Go to the home page and select 'books' on the menu on the left. This will give you more ideas.
Maciek

Post by Maciek »

Hi Sherrkhan!It's great talking to people from over the world. I'm from Poland and it's more then half a year now when I'm trying to write something in here but that people here always showes me how mush more is to learn and remember about Alex. It's futastic to exchange opinions about so interesting subject. My choice is Fuller, Hammond and Green as a opposide view.Maciek
SHERKHANN

Post by SHERKHANN »

Hello. Thank you so much Nick, Maciek, Susan for your guidance and help. What I admire most in Alexander is his sense of loyalty towards his fellowmen as well as his profound sense of brotherhood and friendship. That is the feature that appeals to my very senses.
I send you my very best regards.
Please, do not hesitate to write to me. Here is my email address: sherkhann@eurosport.com
Maciek

Post by Maciek »

Oh it was some "small" difficulties with loyality. But it was not because of Alexanders' character. Not all of his closest friends understood his aims, goals.I think it was the only but general problem in his realtions with his commanders.Regards again
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

The best "biography" on Alexander would have to be Peter Green. Although at times it is a bit lacking in source material it is easy to read. Fuller is great for the military aspect, it stands up well to critism even today, it is nearly 50 years old. Bosworth is okay, I don't like him much , he has some strange ideas about some of the battles and Hammond is just to bias in favour of Alexander to be taken seriously. Of course the primary sources are the best Arrian, Plutarch, Curtius and Diodorus all have their owns strenghts weakenesses and charms. I love Arrian (he is a must read).Enjoy
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

As in all historical subjects, there is no best or complete account. The only way to gain a sound understanding of your subject is to read as much and as widely as possible.Nick's reply has given you a good range, and I would add Robin Lane Fox's account of Alexander's life to the list, together with JR Hamilton. The main problem with understanding Alexander's achievments is that no contemporary accounts of his life exist. Arrian, Plutarch etc all refer to the contemporary sources, and this is the closest we can get to the him. All accounts are based on interpretations of very distant sources. Add to this the motives and perspective of the Roman writers such as Cutius, and the highly styised forms of writing of the time(for example, wildly exaggerating numbers engaged in battle) was standard procedure, and so interpretation without a good understanding of the context in which they were written can lead to dubious conclusions. This means you need to widen your areas of knowledge to include, for example, Roman history and rhetoric, in order to make informed judgements on the works you are reading. Alexander is particulalry suceptablew to overtly romanticised accounts of his life becasue of lazy or sloppy interpretation. (See Mary Renault - very good and easy reads, and I would recommend them to anyone, but a dangerous and highly subjective interpretation of his life and achievments).A very dry and academic accoutn fo Alexander's life, but one which is free from bias and romanticism is 'Alexander the Great' by JR Hamilton. Good luck - the search to discover more about the nature of this extraordinary man has kept me busy for many years, and will, I hope, continue to do so for many years to come.