and now for the books - please vote

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Re: and now for the books - please vote

Post by Nicator »

Hello Nick,
Unfortunately, I haven't read everything on your list. But I was pleasantly surprised to see that you added "The Nature of Alexander" to your list...and also that it was placed so high. This was the first book I read on Alexander, and if it weren't for this book, I can't say for certain whether or not I would have been so hooked on him. later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
nick
Somatophylax

Re: sorry

Post by nick »

Hi Nick -
Sorry, but as you might want to check - the "Nature" recently dropped out of the list. However, as I am collecting opinions, it might be back soon!
Regards -
Nick
rick

Post by rick »

Marcus - how does the "Wars of Alexander..." compare to Osprey's Campaign Series - Alexander 334-323 BC (ISBN 1855321106)? I have this second one (by John Warry), but have seen the one you mentioned.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

It would be a shame to drop "Nature". Like Nick, it was the first non-fiction book I ever read on Alexander, having been so enthused by "Fire From Heaven" that I wanted to find out more. 20-odd years later here I am!Hmm, maybe you ought to change it to a top 20?All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Well, Rick, to be honest I don't really know. I haven't got the Warry book (one of those I keep picking up in the shop but never actually buying).I was in a bookshop the other day and saw the Warry one there. Once again I picked it up and then tried to work out how similar it is to the Heckel book. The verdict? I couldn't work it out. Many of the pictures are the same and I think they used the same battle diagrams, so they look remarkably similar.I was attracted to the Heckel book when it first appeared on Amazon - about 3 months before it was published - because it was by Heckel. There was no other information but I so enjoyed (and still do) Heckel's "Marshals" that I thought "I've got to get this".All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Hi Marcus -I think it ought to stay a top-10. We also have the book reviews - if I would expand the number to 20, I can not really see the different functions of "Books to Read" and "Book Reviews" anymore. One should be elaborate, the other quick ' dirty.However, I take all comments into account. "Nature" is still mentioned there. I suppose Nick & you have secured its position in the top-10.Regards -
Nick