Good Book Recommendation

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

George

Good Book Recommendation

Post by George »

Dear friends,I just wanted to let you know that I fell on a very interesting book. It is called "The Marchals of Alexander's Empire" by W. Heckel. It condences all available information on each of Alex's comrades.Many of you may have it but for those who don't I though I would give you the heads up.All the best,George
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Good Book Recommendation

Post by marcus »

I agree heartily, George. It is a fantastic book.It's not cheap, but anyone on the forum who doesn't have it yet should go straight to Amazon and buy it (using the link on this site, of course, so that Thomas gets some commission from Amazon).:-) :-)Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
George

Post by George »

Hey Marcus,Apart from R.L.Fox and Footsteps... do you know of any other Alex books that have lots of pictures of the locations where Alex went?
Thanks a lot.George
nick
Somatophylax

Re: Good Book Recommendation & Marshals

Post by nick »

Briant's The Heroic Ideal (see Books to Read: http://www.pothos.co.uk/alexander.asp?paraID=92) has good pictures - not all of them of places where Alex went - but still a feast for the eyes.I am thinking: I have a short videotape of my 1999 climb of Aornus (Pir-Sar). Maybe one day I should have that tape converted to mpeg or something like that and make it available on the web. Coming soon!About R.L. Fox - do you mean the regular "Alexander the Great" or his "In Search of... " ? Please check Sikander's great Books Reviews page for much more information (see: http://www.pothos.co.uk/alexander.asp?p ... %20Reviews).P.S. I will include Marshals again (!) on the Books to Read page.
Regards -
Nick
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

I have red about 14 or more books about Alex or close to him but not this one - "The Marchals of Alexander's Empire" by W. Heckel, Now after this post I have to cancel this mistake!
Nick I would be glad to see it. Try to scan some pictures of that rock, if You agree i would like to use it in my master work - about Alex.Maciek
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi George,Apart from those two, and the Briant book that Nick mentions, I'm afraid I don't. There was another book recently published that has a few good pics, but not of geographical locations (afraid I can't remember who wrote it) and there has been a new edition of Renault's non-fiction book that has a few good pics. All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK