Loneliness of Power article

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

George

Loneliness of Power article

Post by George »

Does anyone know where I can find the following article:Badian, E. "Alexander the Great and the Loneliness of Power"Thanks everyone.George
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Loneliness of Power article

Post by marcus »

Not off the top of my head, George. If you can find it in the bibliography of any of the Alexander books (and it will be in most of them, surely) then it will tell you the journal, or book, in which it was published originally. Then all you have to do is find a decent academic library!Alternatively, journals very often offer a reprint service, if you can track them down. But this can be quite expensive. They don't just photocopy the articles, usually, which means that they have quite high reprint costs. If you can find a decent library that is your best bet.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by wmp »

George - Waldemar Heckel's site at
http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~heckel/alexande.ht
m is magnificently comprehensive when it
comes to finding *anything* written on
Alexander! Then, it's as Marcus says, your best
bet is a decent academic library...yours,wmp
Tre

Post by Tre »

George,I don't have my books with me, but Badian's article is now part of a book of essays he did, mostly on the Roman Empire, which you should be able to get via interlibrary loan. This particular article as I recall is where Badian first puts forth his 'Conspiracy against Parmenio' theory.Regards,Tre
Tre

Re: Loneliness of Power - Citation

Post by Tre »

Here's the reference:Ernst Badian, "Alexander the Great and the Loneliness of Power," AUMLA (1962); reprinted in: E. Badian, Studies in Greek and Roman History (Oxford: Basil Blackwell 1964) 192-205.
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by davej »

I have a PDF copy I you want. As long as you are using it research I can send you a copy. I am sure Mr Badian would not mind. Just send me an email I will reply back in PDF format.magnusmalos@yahoo.com