Another Alexander book

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

azara
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Another Alexander book

Post by azara »

Hello, Pothosians!
Recently I've come across the review of a new Alexander book (comparatively new, since it came out in Nov. 2006) of which I've found no mention in Pothos archives.
It is: Carol Thomas, Alexander the Great in his world, Blackwell Publishing. The site is this:
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/book ... 0631232452.

I copy here the table of contents for those who are in a hurry:

List of Figures.
List of Maps.
Preface.
Introduction.
1. Basic Facts, Generally Uncontested, of Alexander's Life.
2. Being Macedonian.
3. Being an Argead.
4. Being a Neighbor of Greece.
5. Surviving by Might.
6. Meeting the Distant Threat.
7. Reconstructing Alexander.
Bibliography.
Index.

This book seems promising, since it aims at placing Alexander in the context of his times and of his national and familiar culture. Has anybody read it?
Best wishes to everybody.
Azara
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

No, but my interest is picqued. :)
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

I'm currently approaching the end of the book, but I'm not sure that I can give a fair assessment because I've been reading only a few pages at a time each night just before I go to sleep. It's hard to get a true feel for a book under those circumstances, but it isn't the kind of book that I don't want to put down before it is finished. It's certainly not a linear biography – if I lose my bookmark I have difficulty finding my place because there's a sense of repetition, although that may just be my impression and not a fact.

That said, it is an original approach to Alexander studies and I don't regret the purchase. And there's one subchapter, Comparison of the Persian Empire with the Macedonian Kingdom (Under the Meeting the distant Threat chapter heading) that would be of great interest here, I think, taking into consideration some of the current debates. I'm not sure if some of the similarities that Thomas describes aren't just coincidences of both countries being monarchies, but it is thought provoking (and debate worthy :wink: ) anyway.

I believe that Marcus sat down and digested the book in a straight reading so perhaps, if he has the time, he can offer some insight. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:I believe that Marcus sat down and digested the book in a straight reading so perhaps, if he has the time, he can offer some insight. :)
Well, maybe not one straight sitting, but I did read it quickly.

Yes, I thought it was good, overall. I particularly liked the fact that it didn't try to analyse Alexander himself in terms of his conquests, etc. but instead tried to identify the cultural and societal influences he would have lived under.

Because of the thrust of each chapter, and an almost stand-alone feel, there was a lot of repetition, as Amyntoros says - Thomas must have been happy to have the copy/paste function in Word. :) I have to say that that was a bit tiresome, but if I had not read it so quickly I would probably have been glad for the labouring of some points.

I give it a thumbs up. At some point I intend to write a review of the book for the site, but as with so many things it's not exactly a priority at the moment ... and I am extremely busy.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
azara

Post by azara »

Thank you; Amyntoros's and Marcus's comments are very useful, as usual, and I'm going to buy the book. Repetitions have become a by-product of academic literature; one keeps noticing them all the time and everywhere. Students will be glad! :wink:
Cordially
Azara
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Finally, BMCR has a review of the book here.
azara wrote:Repetitions have become a by-product of academic literature; one keeps noticing them all the time and everywhere. Students will be glad! :wink:
The reviewer seems to agree with you on this. :)
Because the book is topically arranged, the narrative and analysis are sometimes repetitious. Again, this element, so common in thematic works, is not a sin but a virtue in a book aimed at an undergraduate audience.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
jan
Strategos (general)

Carol Thomas's book about Alexander

Post by jan »

Yes, I have read this book and found it interesting at why and how professors of Greek history finally write books pertaining to Alexander. Like Ian Worthington, she was approached to write the book so that she and her husband were able to travel to Macedonia and the region to fulfill her responsibilities. Confirmed something that was told to me when a student years ago that all professors are expected to publish many books. This one is worth the read!