Two New Novels

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Two New Novels

Post by amyntoros »

Here are two new novels featuring Alexander (to some degree).

The Venetian Betrayal: A Novel by Steve Berry - U.S. Release date December 11th.
Editorial Review/Book Description
In 323 B.C.E, having conquered Persia, Alexander the Great set his sights on Arabia, then suddenly succumbed to a strange fever. Locating his final resting place–unknown to this day–remains a tantalizing goal for both archaeologists and treasure hunters. Now the quest for this coveted prize is about to heat up. And Cotton Malone–former U.S. Justice Department agent turned rare-book dealer–will be drawn into an intense geopolitical chess game.

After narrowly escaping incineration in a devastating fire that consumes a Danish museum, Cotton learns from his friend, the beguiling adventurer Cassiopeia Vitt, that the blaze was neither an accident nor an isolated incident. As part of campaign of arson intended to mask a far more diabolical design, buildings across Europe are being devoured by infernos of unnatural strength.

And from the ashes of the U.S.S.R., a new nation has arisen: Former Soviet republics have consolidated into the Central Asian Federation. At its helm is Supreme Minister Irina Zovastina, a cunning despot with a talent for politics, a taste for blood sport, and the single-minded desire to surpass Alexander the Great as history’s ultimate conqueror.

Backed by a secret cabal of powerbrokers, the Federation has amassed a harrowing arsenal of biological weapons. Equipped with the hellish power to decimate other nations at will, only one thing keeps Zovastina from setting in motion her death march of domination: a miraculous healing serum, kept secret by an ancient puzzle and buried with the mummified remains of Alexander the Great–in a tomb lost to the ages for more than 1,500 years.

Together, Cotton and Cassiopeia must outrun and outthink the forces allied against them. Their perilous quest will take them to the shores of Denmark, deep into the venerated monuments of Venice, and finally high inside the desolate Pamir mountains of Central Asia to unravel a riddle whose solution could destroy or save millions of people–depending on who finds the lost tomb first.

The Heretic (Paperback) by Andrew Feder - Self-Published October 19th.
Editorial Review/Book Description
A Historical Fiction Novel Introduces a Hero - Warrior, Teacher, Lover - from Ancient Greece.
When a man begins experiencing bizarre dreams, a visit to a psychic transports him to the time of Alexander the Great, and he discovers the amazing truth about his past in Andrew Feder's new historical fiction novel, The Heretic, the sequel to When The Angels Have Risen.

After questioning his bizarre dreams and an unexplained sudden knowledge of ancient Greek, Jerry Fletcher seeks the help of a psychic, who suggests that he undergo past life regression. Under this treatment, Jerry begins remembering his past lives -a Jew during the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, a young Arapaho brave, a knight during the Middle Ages - until he stops in Ancient Greece with Aias, a Spartan who was renowned during his time as the world's greatest warrior, but whose name went unrecorded in history.

Aias was not only Alexander the Great's mentor and true friend, he was a highly skilled warrior - akin to a ninja -and an inspiring military hero. The name of Aias has been mysteriously removed from Alexander's journal, but now the truth of this daring man is finally revealed, from the brutal military campaigns to the erotic escapades.

Alexander the Great often compared Aias to Illiad's Hector and Achilles.

Ptlomey thought that Aias was perhaps a God reincarnate from Olympus.

Alexander called him Aries incarnate.

His enemies called him Aias the Decapitator.

Aristotle called him The Heretic.

And the women of Greece called him ... well, you'll have to read the book to find out.

A story of romance and violence, adventure and spirituality, The Heretic unveils a new legend at home with the classics.
For now I'll leave any comments to our members. :) (And if anyone knows of any other recent novels, please feel free to post.)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
jan
Strategos (general)

The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry

Post by jan »

Hello Amuntoros,

Thanks for posting information here that alerted me to the book that was upfront at Barnes Noble this morning. I read through the book very rapidly, as I am a speed reader, and I know now the entire plot, character development, and general theme of the book. I suspect that someone at this website is the real author of the novel, as the book sounds like so many recent discussions from this group.

Naturally, I do not like the idea that Russia has to always be the location for fear, and for a character such as the lead villainess in this to be using Alexander as her inspiration for her life's goals. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the dedication and the subject matter is pertinent to this discussion group here. I will not be a spoiler on this book but it will only have appeal for a limited group of women, and for that reason, will probably be a bust! I don't expect it to do well, using Alexander as the cause celebre for the plot!

But I did recognize the author's style, and I am confident of Steve Berry's identity!

There is a sure clue in the book! right, Steve?

Nah, Irina is not a healthy answer to Alexander! Naming her horse Bucephalus just made me think that this is sacrilege! It is an insulting book to the memory of Alexander, truthfully! But it will always have a cult group following from those who love Mary Renault, I am sure. Nuff said!

Jan
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Two New Novels

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Here are two new novels featuring Alexander (to some degree).
"Cotton Malone"? "Cassiopeia Vitt"? "Supreme Minister Irina Zovastina, a cunning despot with a talent for politics, a taste for blood sport, and the single-minded desire to surpass Alexander the Great as history’s ultimate conqueror"?

Per-leeeeeeease! Surely this is some sort of joke? Please tell me this is some sort of joke! :cry:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

HIV

Post by jan »

in connection with Alexander is just too much for me to appreciate! Sorry! :roll:
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Two New Novels

Post by amyntoros »

marcus wrote:
amyntoros wrote:Here are two new novels featuring Alexander (to some degree).
"Cotton Malone"? "Cassiopeia Vitt"? "Supreme Minister Irina Zovastina, a cunning despot with a talent for politics, a taste for blood sport, and the single-minded desire to surpass Alexander the Great as history’s ultimate conqueror"?

Per-leeeeeeease! Surely this is some sort of joke? Please tell me this is some sort of joke! :cry:

ATB
I'm no writer of fiction and to be honest I don't read much of it either these days, so it wouldn't be fair of me to say too much about the book without reading it. And I don't think it likely that I will take the time in this instance - I'm still waiting for an Alexander related novel that will "grab" me and I doubt that either of the above will suffice. I should, however, point out something that will probably make you groan - The Venetian Betrayal made number twelve on the New York Times Bestseller List in its first week! And apparently (I didn't know this when I started this thread) all of his five previous novels were bestsellers. :shock:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

I should, however, point out something that will probably make you groan - The Venetian Betrayal made number twelve on the New York Times Bestseller List in its first week! And apparently (I didn't know this when I started this thread) all of his five previous novels were bestsellers.
Groan, indeed.

But if that is his oppinion then it is respected. As long as he has studied enough about Alexander to form an oppinion.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Efstathios wrote:
I should, however, point out something that will probably make you groan - The Venetian Betrayal made number twelve on the New York Times Bestseller List in its first week! And apparently (I didn't know this when I started this thread) all of his five previous novels were bestsellers.
Groan, indeed.

But if that is his oppinion then it is respected. As long as he has studied enough about Alexander to form an oppinion.
Of course his opinion is respected. (You are talking about Marcus, aren't you?) Although Marcus was commenting on the rather ridiculous names in the novel above, I've reacted similarly when I've seen the kind of books that are hugely popular. Judith French's romantic novels, for instance, have an enormous following, but just reading her "Alexander" novels makes ME groan. As do Manfredi's novels, and Paul Doherty's which I read a few years ago. Sometimes it's hard for me to understand a book's popularity, but I do think that having studied the histories makes us all more critical than the average reader. There are other books which didn't elicit such a strong response from me though, i.e., I didn't hate them, but I didn't love them either. There are times when, even if the author has all his/her facts and background correct, the book won't appeal simply because the portrayal of Alexander doesn't gel with how I see him. A writer won't have that problem with mainstream readers who know little about Alexander. Which means that my opinion won't count for much anyway. :lol:
Amyntoros

Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

No, i was talking about the author, Steve Berry.
jan
Strategos (general)

Steve Berry, very prolific writer

Post by jan »

:D Well, I am so happy that Amyntoros posted the reviews as I have since taken up reading some of Steve Berry's books, The Amber Room, The Third Secret, The Alexandria Link, The Templar Legacy, etc.etc.etc. another book on the Romanovs so the Venetian Tragedy is an extension of his interest in Russia.

From my understanding, he is an answer to both Dan Brown and Stephen King.

He travels a lot to write all his books which makes me think of the AIA. I am certain that the two could be compared with one another for achaeological studies.

I just received a brochure for a trip to Venice! Interesting, and it sounds great to me!