Alexanders lovers By A. Chugg

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Sandra
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexanders lovers By A. Chugg

Post by Sandra »

Does anybody have this book? Is it worth its money? I consider ordering it from amazon.com, so I would be glad if someone could give me feedback...
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Alexanders lovers By A. Chugg

Post by Fiona »

Sandra wrote:Does anybody have this book? Is it worth its money? I consider ordering it from amazon.com, so I would be glad if someone could give me feedback...
Hello Sandra, well, the author might be listening, so I don't want to sound too effusive, but IMHO this is a wonderful book, and well worth the money. I would have paid twice the price just for the chapter on Hephaistion alone. There's a really great summary of Alexander's career, then a chapter on his personality, followed by separate chapters on Hephaistion, Barsine, Bagoas, Thalestris, Roxane, and Stateira and Parysatis.
It's closely argued from the ancient sources, many of which are quoted in full, and it's great to have all the relevant passages concerning each person all together in one place. It sheds light on these characters and brings each one alive. It's beautifully written, in a scholarly but accessible way, with lovely prose, wit, and human insight.
The illustrations are only black and white, but there are a lot of them, and they're not the ones you see in every book about Alexander, but many are original sketches, or reproductions of less famous works of art. I would wholeheartedly recommend it, especially to anyone who is interested in what we can learn about the characters in the story of Alexander.
Fiona
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Thank you, Fiona! I will try to get my hands on this book! :)
rocktupac

Post by rocktupac »

I would love to get my hands on it as well. I'm highly interested in any detailed research on Alexander, besides the full-scale biography. There needs to be more studies like this that take an in-depth look at certain parts of Alexander's life. Mr. Chugg has done this now with two parts of Alexander's history (his lost tomb and now his lover's). The more this is done the better we can understand him. One day I will definitely pick it up!
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

I found this book very interested and well researched. It is worth the money! I got my copy on Amazon for a fair price and it was new so perfect condition. You can tell when you sit down to read it that a lot of hard work and research went into it. I also love an author who you can tell has passion for his/her subject in the writing and it shows in Andrew's book. After you get it let us know what you think and we can discuss it more. :P
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem