Into The Land Of Bones

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Bobg

Into The Land Of Bones

Post by Bobg »

This book may have been covered before, but it is new to me. I found the book by Frank L. Holt to be a very informative read on what ATG faced in Bactria. The comparison between then and now is a real eye-opener. I have to admit now that I am convinced of a trueism. The more things change - the more they remain the same.
I found the book to be one that I could not put down. Had ATG not been mired in Bactria - no telling how far he would have gone.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Into The Land Of Bones

Post by marcus »

Bobg wrote:This book may have been covered before, but it is new to me. I found the book by Frank L. Holt to be a very informative read on what ATG faced in Bactria. The comparison between then and now is a real eye-opener. I have to admit now that I am convinced of a trueism. The more things change - the more they remain the same.
I found the book to be one that I could not put down. Had ATG not been mired in Bactria - no telling how far he would have gone.
Glad you liked it. I've always been a fan of Holt's work, and as he's focused most of his research on the Bactrian campaign, he knows his onions! The book doesn't say much that's new, inasmuch as it covers most of the ground covered by Holt's previous work on Alexander in Bactria; but he gives it a new impetus with his comments regarding the current situation in Afghanistan. This sort of thing always worries me - bolting on some comments to make it "contemporary", but I liked the way Holt did it in this book.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK