New book out and a couple of other things

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

New book out and a couple of other things

Post by marcus »

Hello all,

I've been absent for a few weeks, while I've been in another part of the country, without Internet or TV (a liberating experience!), and I'm about to go off again for my summer holiday, so just a quick couple of things ...

First, I saw today that Ian Worthington's book on Philip of Macedon is now out - it might have been for a few weeks, but today was the first time I saw it! I had a quick flick through and it looks pretty good - a darn sight better than his Alexander book. If anyone picks it up and has a read before I get a chance, do let us all know what you think.

Second, not altogether related to Alexander, but ... I went to the Hadrian exhibition at the British Museum today (I saw that at least one other Pothosian has already been - can't remember who it was, now, sorry) - tremendous! If you're UK based, or likely to be in the UK before the end of September, which is when I think it runs to, I heartily recommend it.

As it happens, the British Museum has an exhibiton on Babylon starting in November - mainly focusing on the neo-Babylonian period, but with some other stuff thrown in. That should be well worth it (I'm already booked to go on 29 November ...).

That's all for now, folks - in fact, I have a very interesting question to pose for discussion, but I'm going to leave it until I come back from holiday, as I don't want to miss any of the action (if, indeed, there will be any).

All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Re: New book out and a couple of other things

Post by Fiona »

marcus wrote:
Second, not altogether related to Alexander, but ... I went to the Hadrian exhibition at the British Museum today (I saw that at least one other Pothosian has already been - can't remember who it was, now, sorry) - tremendous! If you're UK based, or likely to be in the UK before the end of September, which is when I think it runs to, I heartily recommend it.
So do I, it was great. To see so many famous sculptures all together was breathtaking. I was amazed by the scale model of the country estate at Tivoli, I had no idea it was that vast. And I thought some of the smaller exhibits were very moving, like a tiny scrap of what looked like a thin wooden board, that had Hadrian's own writing on it. Many of the exhibits seemed to me to have great artistic merit as well as historical interest. There was a bust of a very young Marcus Aurelius that I think would have held its own in any company.
Fiona
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:First, I saw today that Ian Worthington's book on Philip of Macedon is now out - it might have been for a few weeks, but today was the first time I saw it! I had a quick flick through and it looks pretty good - a darn sight better than his Alexander book. If anyone picks it up and has a read before I get a chance, do let us all know what you think.
It's on the way. Anything on Philip....

Anson's Eumenes finally arrived. A1 Books obviously thinks Australia is a county somewhere in them there United States: it took eleven weeks! Good thing Amazon does not suffer under the same misapprehension: Lysimachus arrived within a week.

Eumenes - some 100 pages in tonight - is excellent and worth the dollars. Highly recommended so far. Let you know about Philip when I get it and to it....so to speak.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Fiona wrote: And I thought some of the smaller exhibits were very moving, like a tiny scrap of what looked like a thin wooden board, that had Hadrian's own writing on it. Many of the exhibits seemed to me to have great artistic merit as well as historical interest. There was a bust of a very young Marcus Aurelius that I think would have held its own in any company.
Totally agree. In fact, all of the sculpture was exquisite. As for the smaller exhibits - I particularly liked the tile with the imprint of the soldier's hob-nailed sandal in it!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:It's on the way. Anything on Philip....

Anson's Eumenes finally arrived. A1 Books obviously thinks Australia is a county somewhere in them there United States: it took eleven weeks! Good thing Amazon does not suffer under the same misapprehension: Lysimachus arrived within a week.

Eumenes - some 100 pages in tonight - is excellent and worth the dollars. Highly recommended so far. Let you know about Philip when I get it and to it....so to speak.
Excellent. I am going to have to hold off on Worthington's Philip for a while, because of high spending over the summer; but I shall be there, in time.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to attack Anson's Eumenes as well, when I have time!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

You should get to Eumenes forthwith Marcus. This is a spankingly good monograph - long in the gestation according to the author. It crosses into to several subject areas - as you'd expect - whilst tracking Eumenes' life: much discusssion (mostly in notations) of the ongoing higher/lower debate for chronology; discussion of the ethnic make-up of ancient Macedonia, its culture, etc; a digression into the practice of land grants and "citizenship" thereto attached and also the make-up of the Macedonian army and its professional-citizen nature under Philip as opposed to its "mercenary" nature later in Alexander's reign.

Anson is spot on with his description of Eumenes as an ambitious player seeking to keep and protect his position of hetairos and influence - a position guaranteed him only by virtue of his his closeness and usefulness to both Philip and Alexander. As Green observed in Alexander to Actium Eumenes needed to play his part in the post Alexander struggles so as not to be reduced to an actor in a large support cast to a Macedonian ruling elite.

Intriguing, given the subjects discussed, that Bosworth's Legacy of Alexander does not appear in the bibliography. Much in that book has a direct bearing here. It is possible that it was published too late to have any significant bearing on a work that, seemingly, had well and truly taken form by then.

Anson's references to his many works published in Historia are at once illuminating and frustrating. The later due to the fact that the collected works are awfully difficult to acces outside of major academic libraries. At some $16 per photocopy for an interlibrary loan (if the respective volumes are accessible) that makes for an eapensive read of say five pages. Pity he has not collected them elsewhere.

Time now to finish Lund's Lysimachus and Billows' Antigonus. How to find time for the present??
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

So many books ... so little time

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:You should get to Eumenes forthwith Marcus. This is a spankingly good monograph - long in the gestation according to the author.
I intend to at some point soon ... but I fear it might be a while before I would have a chance actually to sit down and read it. But I shall, indeed, consider ordering it soon. Credit crunch? What credit crunch?
paralus wrote:Anson's references to his many works published in Historia are at once illuminating and frustrating. The later due to the fact that the collected works are awfully difficult to acces outside of major academic libraries.
I might be able to help with some of those - again, though, bear with me. I shall see what I have ...
paralus wrote:Time now to finish Lund's Lysimachus and Billows' Antigonus. How to find time for the present??
The Lysimachus is another I would like to get hold of an add to the library. I remember reading Antigonus on the beach at Lindos, Rhodes, in the shadow of the Temple to Lindian Athene, about 10 years ago ... possible time for a re-run at some point. However, as I have 5 unread Alexander books on the shelf, just a-waitin', I must be realistic about my reading opportunities for the foreseeable future.

(Talking of reading opps, as I was going to Syria, and more particularly to Palmyra this summer, I took with me Richard Stoneman's "Palmyra and her Empire". While really nothing to do with Alexander, or Macedonia, I have to recommend it as a superb little monograph.)

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Update on Worthington's "Philip"

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:Time now to finish Lund's Lysimachus and Billows' Antigonus. How to find time for the present??
Just as an update - my copy of Worthington's Philip arrived yesterday. I've only had a quick flick through so far, but it looks good. There seems to be an error when he discusses Philip's wives however - not necessarily Worthington's, or even his publishers. There seems to be a discrepancy over the number and names of the wives discussed by Worthington, and the number (and therefore also names) in Satyrus' list (via Athenaeus) as reproduced in the book. I shall have to check that one!

The only thing that's a bit disappointing is the photograph section. Nowadays they should be reproducing much better pictures in books, especially those costing £25. Or they need to source better photographs to use!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Tantalus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Tantalus »

I agree wholeheartedly with Paralus about Eumenes of Cardia. A very well written and researched book that I think is a must read for anyone interested in this early period of the Diadochi. Anson has written a book that is extensively detailed with a great depth of information. But he has presented and written the material in a way that is easy to follow. Most importantly, besides learning much, I simply enjoyed it.

And it's good to see you can get the book for $80-$90 US, down from the original price of $135. Usually books like this go up in price over time.

And in the same vein The Wars of Alexander's Successors 323-281BC, Volume 1 may be of interest to some here. I have ordered it but do not have it yet. But to get a preview you can read excerpts on the site of the authors. I think I read somewhere that Volume 2 will go into more detail on the battles.

I also pre-ordered Mithridates the Great. Until now, Alfred Duggan's 1959 biography, King of Pontus., although good, was the only book I have ever found on Mithridates. I'm hoping this new one will be updated and even better.

And finally, just a few more months for this one, Alexander the Great: A New History, edited by Heckel.
marcus wrote: I remember reading Antigonus on the beach at Lindos, Rhodes, in the shadow of the Temple to Lindian Athene, about 10 years ago ...
Now that's a proper setting! :)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Tantalus wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with Paralus about Eumenes of Cardia. ...

And in the same vein The Wars of Alexander's Successors 323-281BC, Volume 1 may be of interest to some here. I have ordered it but do not have it yet. But to get a preview you can read excerpts on the site of the authors...

I also pre-ordered Mithridates the Great. ...

And finally, just a few more months for this one, Alexander the Great: A New History, edited by Heckel.
Thanks for the heads up on these, Tantalus. I'm sold on Eumenes! I just need to find the necessary cash, now ... The others look quite interesting, too.

I've had the new Heckel book in my Amazon order list for ages - the publication date has been put back at least twice. But it will be a good one when it arrives, I'm sure!
Tantalus wrote:
marcus wrote: I remember reading Antigonus on the beach at Lindos, Rhodes, in the shadow of the Temple to Lindian Athene, about 10 years ago ...
Now that's a proper setting! :)
Yeah, it was indeed. Great book, great setting! Lindos has fantastic nightclubs, as well, probably much better than they were back in the 4th century BC ... 8)

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Worthington's Philip is finally on its way to me, as is Antigonos the One-Eyed and the Creation of the Hellenistic State by Richard A Billows. Am not sure whether the latter is a worthwhile purchase or not, but the two reviews on Amazon are quite positive. I was swayed anyway after reading that it contains detailed plans of Gabiene. Oh, Paralus, what have you wrought? :wink:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote:Worthington's Philip is finally on its way to me...
Mine seems to have left for Mars on the latest unmanned mission. Who then might read it? I imagine that occurred when Amazon sent me duplicate copies of Lysimachus, Antigonus The One-Eyed, and Eumenes back aways. Evidently From Plataea to Potidaea and From the End of the Peloponnesian War to the Battle of Ipsus (Translated Documents of Greece and Rome) have also totally perplexed their Martian recipient.

When I can convince the world that the AUD is not franked by the central bank of Congo I shall attempt a re-order (US 0.96 to 0.64 in a week or so???).
amyntoros wrote:...as is Antigonos the One-Eyed and the Creation of the Hellenistic State by Richard A Billows. Am not sure whether the latter is a worthwhile purchase or not, but the two reviews on Amazon are quite positive. I was swayed anyway after reading that it contains detailed plans of Gabiene. Oh, Paralus, what have you wrought?
Hmmm. I see…my fault eh? Should that be the case I can go to my grave in the knowledge that I have achieved something. Pleased I am (in best Yoda wisdom pose) that you book ended the purchase: Philip and the very interesting Antigonus and Eumenes. Not an Alexander (III that is) in sight.

I know that it is a huge ask, but, Billows should not be read without either Anson or Bosworth handy. Bosworth you have (Legacy); Anson you do not. Might have to see what can be done in that regard.

Bosworth is mandatory for the chronological view. I tend towards the “higher” chronology (as he does) and believe his order of events – based in large part on a re-interpretation of the Babylonian “Successor Chronicles” – places the campaigns of Gaza and Seleucus in Babylonia and the “upper” satrapies in a more logical order. According to the Successor Chronicles a major war – involving Antigonus and Seleucus – took place over a period of at least a year beginning in August 310. The prevailing view, followed by Billows in Antigonus, compresses events seriously and resolves the source issues by combining the Babylonian expedition of Demetrius and the serious large scale invasion of Babylonia by Antigonus afterwards.

Errington’s From Babylon to Triparadeisos is worth reading for the earlier background (yes I have it should you want it)

Anson’s Eumenes is necessary for balance. Billows is quite up front in his liking for and admiration of Antigonus. His view is that his subject is largely passed over and ignored due to his famous contemporaries (Philip II and Alexander III). He also dismisses the view of Antigonus as an over-ambitious man brought down by the arrogance of power as a view having its roots firmly in ancient tragedy. There is something to this later and, even given that, Billows’ explaining away of or – dare it be said – apologia for Monophthalmus’ streak of cruelty (the burning alive of Antigenes and the desecration of Alcetas’ body in Psidia to name a couple) can appear almost Arrian like at times.

The campaign of the second Diadoch war is given a reasonable (if brief) treatment and the seminal campaign in Persis is over in some ten pages. The battle plans of Paraetecene and Gabiene are reasonable; the basics are there but there is little feeling for the events. Indeed, a straight take on the Gabiene plan has the argyraspids taking on the entire corps (some 8,000) of epigoni in Antigonus’ army whilst the Eumenid hypaspists take on the Macedonians of near similar numbers. The disaster at the Coprates, suffered by Antigonus’ forces, whilst related as such (less dead and captured saw Perdiccas dead at the Nile although the nature of the troops is here different) is occaision for Billows to argue that the source (Hieronymus) has employed “considerable exaggeration” when it comes to Antigonid loses and suffering in this campaign to glorify Eumenes (how this pleased his subsequent Antigonid patrons remains a mystery). Anson’s counter view of the numbers makes rather more sense. It is a fact that at Gabiene Antigonus’ numbers – both in cavalry and infantry – were considerably reduced.

Billows sees the renewed warfare between Antigonus and Eumenes as the result of the latter “altering the oaths” of Nora. Anson’s far more logical explanation of Eumenes repudiation of the agreement (for obvious personal gain) makes much more sense.

A theme is Monophthalmus’ outgeneralling of his Greek opposite. This painting of Antigonus as “outgeneralling” Eumenes is consistent and begins with Eumenes being “completely outgeneralled” at Orcynia. Billows describes Antigonus brilliant stratagem of sending one of Eumenes’ heralds back with the information that Antigonus’ allies had arrived and then halving his phalanx depth and extending his line (he had about half the infantry strength of Eumenes). This, from Polyaenus, may or may not reflect the battle; Eumenes, superior in cavalry, will easily have been able to ascertain the facts. The second prong is the nabbing of Eumenes’ baggage. Not a mention of the corrupting of Eumenes’ cavalry officer, one Perdiccas by name, who deserted “when the battle became hot” leading to the rout of Eumenes’ forces. This latter tactic – as the sources make reasonably plain – was a favourite of the One-Eyed.

Antigonus’ decision not to pay to cross the Cossaean’s territory – occasioning much suffering and loss (particularly amongst the light armed) – is ascribed to the One-Eyed being nigh on broke. The idea that pride (ala Alexander) had anything to do with this is dismissed.

The seminal battles of Paraetecene and Gabiene both pass as victories for Antigonus. That Antigonus, at Paraetecene, was able to camp near to the dead (he did have stronger control over his army) gave him this “notional” victory. Billows at least allows that Antigonus had lost many more men in the battle. He also allows that Antigonus will have done this to disguise the nature of his losses. This was a battle that Antigonus lost – his actions in its aftermath eloquently indicate the fact.

Gabiene is put down to the brilliant stratagem of investing the baggage train. This is true and it is the only thing that saved Antigonus from catastrophe. Had Eumenes convinced his forces to take the field Antigonus, his infantry smashed and demoralised, faced certain oblivion.

All of which would indicate that I hold a negative view of the book – I do not. It is quite a good and entertaining work. The thematic material on the Hellenistic state (and Antigonus’ contribution to it) is good. The biography – the first part of the book – too is good (my quibbles above aside). In the end I don’t think that Billows succeeded in separating his admiration from the facts he’s dealing with. That is no discredit and is something we all deal with. I, for instance, may be accused of dealing too lightly with Eumenes.Whilst agreeing with Anson’s view that he was motivated by self interest – his only way back to his privileged position under Philip and Alexander was to fight for it – I see him as rather under-appreciated.

Seems this took on a life of its own - apologies for the length. Perhaps I should simply have written a review...
Paralus

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Paralus wrote:
amyntoros wrote:...as is Antigonos the One-Eyed and the Creation of the Hellenistic State by Richard A Billows. Am not sure whether the latter is a worthwhile purchase or not, but the two reviews on Amazon are quite positive. I was swayed anyway after reading that it contains detailed plans of Gabiene. Oh, Paralus, what have you wrought?
Hmmm. I see…my fault eh? Should that be the case I can go to my grave in the knowledge that I have achieved something. Pleased I am (in best Yoda wisdom pose) that you book ended the purchase: Philip and the very interesting Antigonus and Eumenes. Not an Alexander (III that is) in sight.
Ah, but I do still favor Alexander even though my area of interest is widening. :wink: Thing is, there isn't much new to be found in recent biographies of Alexander. No, "new" is the wrong word because it implies that I think I know all there is to know about Alexander, and that's not the case at all. I should rather say that I generally don't find much of interest in yet another bio of Alexander (although I will buy Heckel's book when it comes out, of course), because the bios often tell us more about the author's own opinion of Alexander than about Alexander himself. This is why these days I prefer compilation pieces where individual events and traits are examined in detail. Compilations aren't always succesful (IMO) though, as evidenced by Alexander's Revenge: Hellenistic Culture Through the Centuries. Given the title I expected that this somewhat obscure publication would be both entertaining and revealing, but I was disappointed. Best way I can describe it is to say that it resembles a (hypothetical) post where someone begins by saying that Genghis Khan probably admired Alexander … and then continues for pages writing ONLY about Genghis with no further reference to A. For example, the first chapter, The Chreia in Primary and Secondary Education begins with:
One of the most enduring, if little known, legacies of Alexander, or more accurately, of the Hellenistic age that his conquests inaugurated is the educational curriculum which received its definitive structure and sequence shortly after Alexander, spread throughout the Hellenistic world, and continued, little changed, for the rest of antiquity and on into the middle ages.”
Fair enough, but that's about as much as is said about Alexander, although I could have relearned (if my interest had been maintained) all about the use of the Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, and Vocative in sentence structure! :roll: And the one article which IS about Alexander, From Prince to Demi-God: The Formulation and Evolution of Alexander' Portrait refer's extensively to Andrew Stewart's Faces of Power: Alexander's Image and Hellenistic Politics and Margarete Bieber's Alexander the Great in Greek and Roman Art, so there's little new to be found if you've read those books. I've mentally filed the book under "esoteric and almost nothing to do with Alexander"!
Paralus wrote:Seems this took on a life of its own - apologies for the length. Perhaps I should simply have written a review...
Don't you dare apologize because this was extremely informative! If you should, however, want to revise the post into a book review for the site and send it to Marcus, I'm sure it would be very welcome. It occurs to me that we haven't added any book reviews in a long, long time.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:
Paralus wrote:Seems this took on a life of its own - apologies for the length. Perhaps I should simply have written a review...
Don't you dare apologize because this was extremely informative! If you should, however, want to revise the post into a book review for the site and send it to Marcus, I'm sure it would be very welcome. It occurs to me that we haven't added any book reviews in a long, long time.
Paralus - please do tidy this up as a book review, and I'll stick it up in the reviews section. The last review that was posted was mine, telling everyone not to buy Agnes Savill's Alexander the Great and his Time. That must have been about a year ago.

Once I've ploughed through my pile of unread books, I intend to write some more reviews myself ... but it would be great if we could get more from other people! After all, if every regular Forum visitor wrote one book review - even of books that are already reviewed by other people - think what an even better resource Pothos would be!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:Paralus - please do tidy this up as a book review, and I'll stick it up in the reviews section.
Give me a little time and I shall scribble something. As a good boy I always did what Mother told me. I also believe in fairies at the foot of the garden...

Perhaps I'll have a shot at Anson's Eumenes as well. I have to say that it may well be biased as I consider this one of the best books I've read in some time. Then again, I do have a soft spot for the Cardian. Damn that Hieronymus.Then maybe I'll get around to Lysimachus.

If that Martian has email I'll prevail upon it to review my copy of Philip.
Paralus

Academia.edu