Question related to Plutarch

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Dina

Question related to Plutarch

Post by Dina »

Hi everybody. Its nice to find a place with so many loyal Alexander's fans. I have a question which might sound silly to most of you :oops: but i am a bit puzzled and wanted to figure it out.

I found "Age of Alexander - Nine Greek Lives" in Amazon and thought to buy it. I am puzzled over a detail. I havent cleared up whether this is a different work of Plutarch , dinstict from his "Paralel Lives" or this book is just the biographies of Greek persons found in "Paralel Lives" without the Roman ones. Can anybody help me a little to make it clear?

Thanks.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

The Age of Alexander is "special edition" of nine Greek lives roughly concomitant with Alexander and his time. It is a partner volume to The rise and Fall of Athens, a collection of Greek lives covering roughly that period.

These are the self same "lives" contained in Plutarch's paired lives- just repackaged under a theme rather than as the author originally conceived them.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu