Military History special edition Heroes of Ancient Greece

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Military History special edition Heroes of Ancient Greece

Post by Theseus »

I came across this wonderful magazine that is put out by Military History. This issue covers the Heroes of Ancient Greece and Rome. This magazine has beautiful pictures of the Alexander Sarcophagus, illustrations of the Greek's arsenal, Greek Phalanx, Triremes, catapults ect... It's a very interesting read with glorious photos. This was put out in the summer of this year, but I was able to pick up a copy at my local book store just recently and hope you can find it as well.
Image[/img]
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hmmm, looks interesting! Thanks for the info. Didn't see that particular issue, probably because I didn't spend too much time in real bookstores this summer. Did snag a copy of their other summer special though - Warlords. Does it come as a surprise to anyone that the article on Alexander is written by V.D. Hanson? He has definitely cornered the market for less-than-positive portrayals of Alexander!

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote: Does it come as a surprise to anyone that the article on Alexander is written by V.D. Hanson? He has definitely cornered the market for less-than-positive portrayals of Alexander!
Outside of this forum anyway...
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Paralus wrote:
amyntoros wrote: Does it come as a surprise to anyone that the article on Alexander is written by V.D. Hanson? He has definitely cornered the market for less-than-positive portrayals of Alexander!
Outside of this forum anyway...
And there's the rub! Hanson's popularity with magazine editors means that anyone else's point of view is unlikely to find its way off the forum and into print. I have several Military History publications and, depending on the general topic, their editorial requirements seem to be either extremely positive or extremely negative portrayals of Alexander; Hanson being their "go-to-guy" for the latter. Shame really, because the magazine is one of very few "not purely academic" outlets and we have some great writers on Pothos who deserve a wider audience, IMO.

Best regards,
Last edited by amyntoros on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Being in the middle of the U.S. election and an active participant, I must just pop in and say VDH is a jerk. He has built his "conservative pundit" cred on being a "world famous Classics scholar" which in turn, because of his notoriety gives him name recognition that he doesn't deserve, to the exclusion of others in popular magazine like this. By popular, I mean, reaching the general public.

I just came from a site called Sadly, No!, which was skewering VDH's strange and weak objection to Powell endorsing Obama. VDH is one of their favourite targets.

http://www.sadlyno.com/archives/12966.html#comments

Sorry to interject politics, but I've had it up to here with VDH and his wingnuttery. It would be like Peter Green using his academic reputation to launch a career pushing for some radical left, and I mean radical, not just liberal, agenda.

Can you tell I do not like VDH?